• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop: Saving copy not saving over jpg file [ 19 Feb 2020 ] LOCKED

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When are you going to fix this bug? It's so annoying. There are thousands of people reporting this issue. It seems like a simple fix. 

Note from moderator:

This is the bug that was caused by a change in macOS that Adobe has since fixed.

• In 22.4.1 Adobe introduced Save a Copy 
  • In 22.4.2 Adobe included the ability to revert to the legacy behavior in preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options

This post is now locked since this issue is solved. You can add to this merged thread to comment:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/p-save-as-formats-have-disappeared-ph...

See this help page for details and please start a new thread if you need further assistance:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mark,

Your workarounds are risky and overextensive for what should be, and was, a simple process:

- When working with very large posters, Indesign has its limits and setbacks. Try creating an Indesign file over 216"

- Export, Save for web takes approx. 10 sec... Save-As = 1sec
- Actions require flattening the document and a risk of loosing over 12 hrs of work? I don't think so.

Maybe Adobe should pay you. It's not worth the backlash from designers when Adobe messes up bigtime and don't seem to give a damn about it.

I'm using a Mac - Catalina - 32GB Ram

I use Quark, Corel, Adobe Suite, Affinity Suite & Cinema 4D depending on the client and company (when applicable). Affinity is catching up to Adobe and apart from a few features I believe Affinity has already surpassed Adobe Illustrator. I personally do not like this mess up with Adobe PSD. It's been costing me a lot of unnecessary clean up time replacing and renaming files every time I Save-As...every day (hence my blooming charm i think).

I was offered a teaching postion, but as you can tell I lack a "degree" of patience so I gladly declined.
Good luck fighting for Adobe. I'm so not impressed with where the're at with Photoshop right now.

PS. I ordered a helmet on Amazon 😉

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy!

Glad you put that helmet on. But you really shouldnt need it! You were a bit more charming in your last post... thanks! That yoga class worked. Ha.

So my first suggestion was to Place the .PSD straight into InDesign. Which works great, but many say due to large files it slows things down. So then I suggested using Save For Web as an alternate way to save and replace a JPEG. And creating an action to make it super fast. So I created a quick video using my Action I created which saves and replace my JPEG with one click. And it happens before the click is even over! Check it out. Also cool that replace image dialogue doesnt come up. You can also see that it is working fine on my computer. Wonder if that is part of the issue. It's a bug perhaps only for a percentage of people?
I can't figure it out. I am on MAC OS Catalina 10.15.7 with Adobe Photoshop 22.30

Hope this helps! 

cheers!
mark

https://youtu.be/qmEFrAsPTd8

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Placing a photoshop file makes the file larger than necessary and increases document load, print and save time.  This might work for some dainty little 10mg file, but some of us are working on huge files, that need to be flattened for optimal performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah. That is unfortunate. It does work great  - but I hear you that it slows things down with large files. 
I created a video above. You can see replacing an image works fine for me. Weird, huh?

Wonder what is causing the issue for some of you?

Hope we can figure it out soon.

best,

mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

- Save for web works great for web, video and social media projects, but not for CMYK ones.

- Yes, InDesign works with PSD files, but I had some big problems in the past when generating a pdf for print purposes. It works better with TIF and JPG CMYK files, specially in projects with a lot of pages.

- If you wish to generate a small size pdf for share inside an e-mail, without losing quality, PSD files inside InDesign don't work fine, it's quite impossible to have a small size PDF. In this case, save for web works great.

- It's really really annoying this bug, I also work with Photoshop since the 1990s and as far as I know, this is the first time this bug happens. If PS advises you that it will save over the existing file, it shouldn't have to create a new file with 'copy' in the filename. And worse than that, if you try to save the PSD as a JPG again, it will save over the first JPG file without 'copy' in the filename. In this case, if you wish to save over the first generated JPG, as it worked for years and years, you have to save it over two times. This is crazy 🙂
- Best, Sergio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sergio,

Yes I have been hearing the placing a PSD is not working so great with large files. But Save for Web seems to work with CMYK just uncheck "Convert to SRGB"? - the JPEG is the same, just different options with the dialogue box. 
Have you tried it? Does it still create a copy for you this way?

Not sure if you saw this quick vid I created?

Hope it gets worked out soon.

cheers,

mark

https://youtu.be/qmEFrAsPTd8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

I didn't know it was possible to save CMYK files with the save for web command, but it didn't work for me, even with "convert to sRGB" unchecked. I think this command is intended to reduce the JPG files without compromising the quality for web projects (as the name says), but I would not take the risk to use it with editorial CMYK files or even high quality large format RGB ones for plot.
I saw your video, it's a workaround for web RGB files, but notice that this problem doesn't happen with save for web command, I think using your action will only save some time. The real problem happens when trying to save JPEG and TIF files with the usual save as command, specially for CMYK files.
Thank you anyway.
Cheers, Sergio
(Sorry for my English)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey Sergio,

When you save for Web or save as... you are still compressing our image to JPEG 24 bit compression. 
The difference is, with the Save for Web which was created to save JPEGs, PNGs, and GIFS you have more options for compression. I can compress an image and reduce its size and lock certain colors, and I can visually SEE the changes in those optimization settings, and file size... BEFORE saying OKAY. Your method is a bit blind. But either way, a JPEG is a JPEG, its a way to reduce the size of a Large Bitmap so that it can be sent with a smaller file size.

Hope that helps. And your English is great!

Cheers,

mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mark!
I wish Adobe brings things back to the save as command as it was in the past.

Have a nice weekend.

Best, Sergio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happens with .eps files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect example and yes HUGE pain in the butt! It's really unacceptable. I just had a huge storyboard project that had over 100 frames to save out... including 3 rounds of changes... thanks for the extra work Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have the same problem since a few days, afraid to see you have to deal with that since several months...

Juste to know, do you all work on MAC ? on it's only an Adobe bug ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I work on a Mac (OS Catalina).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today Adobe released a big new update to all Apps, but this bug is still there. So annoying. We were always able to write over JPG and TIFF files from PSD/PSB. This is very common when generating a CMYK JPG file from PSD, make some adjustments, and then save over the old JPG. The check box of "save as" appears in gray when choosing JPG format and the system advises if you really want to save over the existing JPG file. If it's going to save a new file with "copy" in the file name, and not over the existing file, this is a bug. This metod ALWAYS worked writing the JPG over the old one in the past. Why change this now? If this JPG file is linked to an INDD file for instance, the chances of a mistake are big, as the INDD file will look for the original JPG file name, instead of the "correct" JPG with "copy" in the file name. Sorry for my english.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why they are not getting what we are saying. What is the deal? I have been working in PS since the early 90s and for them to give some lame "workaround" is completely unacceptable. Just fix it already! I don't want a workaround. I want this one simple thing, albeit VERY important, fixed. How hard can this be?

P.S. And please don't say "it's always been this way" because we all know that is not true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had another update through this morning and still no change, this need to get fixed! I work with large artwork files for catalogues in InDesign and updating images is such a pain!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is extremely annoying. I don't like that Mark is acting like it's no big deal. It's obviously a bug or Photoshop wouldn't warn that you are about to overwrite a file and then not overwrite it. For years it worked. I could save a copy of my PSD as a jpg, make a change, then save a copy of my PSD as THE SAME JPG. Now it saves a copy of my PSD as a new jpg with a new name, which just clutters up the hard drive and makes it harder to do the same thing I used to do very easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ha. I'm not acting like its no big deal. I don't work for Adobe... I don't get paid to be here at all. I was just trying to help. Many of the Adobe applications have various problems... they are very complex apps. But I know from experience that sometimes its not so easy to get certain things fixed. LIke for instance in Adobe Animate I have to say NO each time I open it to dismiss downloading the Osaka font. So I get frustrated too... so I was only trying to offer a suggested work-around in stead of struggling. 

And placing photoshop files in InDesign is the easiest way to work to me. I do the same thing with Photoshop Linking to Character Animator and linking After Effects composititions inside of Premiere. So when I update my AE Comp or update my Photoshop file, and press SAVE.... BOOM... everything is updated in Premiere and Character Animator files respectively. The coolest is Photoshop Linked To Character Animator which is linked to Premiere... one save from Photoshop and everything in Character Animator AND Premiere are updated. No need to save over, relink, reimport.... same with Photoshop in Captivate, and Illustrator files within After Effects. To me its the strenght and benifit of using Adobe applications.

So perhaps its not fixing what you are trying to do, but I was just trying to offer a way I work, and thought it might be helpful ior possibly useful.

I am sorry I was not able to help. But I'll keep trying!

Best way to get things changed is to  list them on the WISH FORM
https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Hope it helps

best,

mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark is just trying to offer a quick solution that he knows works. He understands that it doesn't solve your issue. If you were under a time crunch, it will work as a work-a-round. If you feel it is a bug, you can report bugs here... https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When are you going to fix this? The Adobe person responding is seriously condescending, it's like I'm working with Quark XPress again. I have been using InDesign since the beginning, and this was NEVER an issue. Designers MUST have the file overwrite corrections and retain the same file name. You had it for years and years before. It can be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can wait for Adobe to fix this... Or a pragmatic approach would be to use a script in the meantime.

P.S. This is a community board, no Adobe staff have participated yet, only other users.

These user community pages are generally ignored by Adobe staff, there is a separate website for contact with Adobe personnel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup this bug is driving me crazy too; always having to delete the old jpeg and edit the name of the new one to remove “copy” from the end of the filename.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A script would probably work around the problem... Or just keep waiting for a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy moley they've finally fixed it! Just updated Photoshop this morning and can now save over JPEGs. Took their time!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming.

Good to hear it is now working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines