• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop saving issue (FILES TOO LARGE)

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Whenever I'm attempting to save a JPEG in Photoshop CC, even the smallest size JPEG comes out at around 6MB at least. I've tried everything from rebuilding the file to flattening all the layers, yet nothing seems to have worked so far. I'm trying to create web graphics and the file should typically be around ~100KB. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to fix this? I've tried restarting the computer and resetting the preferences file for Photoshop but it still won't work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

go to image/image size... what are the pixel dimensions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or try save for web, under File>Export. This will allow you to resize to a specific pixel dimension and pick a compression setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check this thread out. jpg file size during "save as"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I literally deleted all the layers and just left it with one blank layer on an 800x320px image at 300ppi and it still saved it as 7.5MB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This intrigues me as I work with very large files (close to GB with many layers) and have no issues saving to jpeg. Could you give more detail on what platform, what version of Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have a feeling that your image is not 800x320 px...could you post a screenshot of your image/image size window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac OS 10.10.3 using Photoshop CC 20140508.r58 x64. It's the 2014 version of Photoshop CC. I've tried with a couple other files and I'm still getting the same issue. Even when I bring the JPEGs into another program and try to reserve them (like through Preview or Illustrator) I still am ending up with a huge file size. It seems to me like it's trying to keep data left over from editing the file but I don't think that should be remaining in the JPEG file!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then we are speaking apples and apples--- I will try different attributes and let you know what I see but hopefully others such as experienced ones who are already here can see the issue. I will get back on this as soon as I can. Often there are issues that can be resolved with time but if there is a "bug" in this problems we will report. Hang in we will do what we can to help!

Since you are prob. on the Cloud why have you not uploaded the latest?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't updated to the latest version because this is actually happening on my work computer which has its own licensing agreement. We aren't updated on the software releases until another 4 months. It's set at a 6 month cycle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Save for web

or if using CC2015 +

File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy)

Choose JPEG and you can adjust the settings of it manually and see the finished file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is some attached screenshots of what I'm talking about. This image is 265x149 @ 72ppi. It's saving out as 6MB!

Screen Shot 2015-06-23 at 2.18.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-06-23 at 2.18.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-06-23 at 2.18.56 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know the exact answer to this, very weird. I often work with files several GB in size. I personally would just create a new document and quickly remake this design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be a pretty easy route. The problem is that this is happening with even new files. It seems like it's just dumping tons of data into a new file and even if I don't touch it, it'll still save really large.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many bits are the files you are working with? Image > Mode > _______

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RGB 8Bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screen shot seems to show you are doing Save as rather than Save For Web. Why? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some of these, I need to be saving at 300 pip. I'm not sure if I'm able to do that in Photoshop Save for Web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the graphics are for the internet they don't need to be saved at any resolution higher than 72

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned in my previous comment, for some files I'd need to make them 300ppi. This is happening with every file I make now, no matter if it needs to be 72ppi, 150ppi, or 300ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resolution is completely irrelevant unless you are planning on printing the file. Total number of pixels determines the file size. Resolution only changes the print size, so assuming all three files have the same number of pixels, the 300ppi file will print roughly 1/3 the size of the 72ppi one, but it digital land it's still the same size file.

Have you tried the save for web option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The client I'm doing a project for has requested that the files remain at 300ppi. I tried doing the save for web option and it slightly reduced the file from 6MB down to 4.8MB but it's still way too late for a file of that size. I'm going to have the IT department uninstall and reinstall photoshop to see if that solves the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to recreate what you have using PS CC 2014, and came up with a 41.9k file. If you can put the jpeg in a dropbox and share it, I'd like to take a look. You've got me curious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using CS2015, the update. While prepping the file to be sure to give you good instructions I repeated the procedure and found no problem. Go figure, and I wasn’t drinking at the time. Something was amiss. No other files were open at the time. Between the problem and now I quit and restarted Photoshop. Maybe that had something to do with it now working. Am sending no files.

Thanks for the followup.

Don

Don Albrecht

Scientific Illustrator and Animator, AlbrechtGFX

14541 Danvers Street, Waverly, NE 68462

Office +1-402-786-3636

Cell +1-402-304-7213

Visualizing the invisible. Making the abstract clear.

AlbrechtGFX E-mail Confidentiality Disclaimer:

The information in this e-mail may be privileged and confidential, intended only for the use of the addressee(s) above.

Any unauthorized use or disclosure of this information is prohibited.

If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please delete it and immediately contact the sender.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What file size do these images come out to when saving as PNG-24?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines