Photoshop saving JPGs as HUGE FILES

Participant ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An issue started happening recently where all jpg files when created with Save As are saved as 6mb+ in file size.

Even if i make the file size 10x by 10x, 72dpi and 1 Quality, the jpg size is still 6mb+.

This only happens to documents that were copy/pasted from previously LARGE SAVING documents.

1. If i open a new document and copy / paste the LARGE jpg into the new doc, I still get a LARGE jpg. (6mb)

2. If i open a new document and drag / drop the LARGE jpg into the new doc, I still get a LARGE jpg. (6mb)

3. If i open a new document and drag / drop the LAYERS of the LARGE psd, it finally saves as a NORMAL jpg. (600kb)

EXTREMELY bizzare, and frustrating.

I had adobe customer support just take over my computer and try to fix the issue - but they couldnt find anything. All settings seem to be correct.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017
It's not the metadata. I get the same thing when I copy / paste the jpg into a new document , 6mb+
That observation is irrelevant to say the least. Check out the Ancestor Metadata (File > File Info > Raw Data) and see this thread: Inflated JPG File Size - Photoshop Document:Ancestors Metadata
I guess i stumped everyone.
No, but you chose to ignore Theresa J’s advice.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first question is are you sure you are not saving the file somewhere else?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling photoshop?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% positive where the file is being saved. I've replicated it dozens of times now

And yes to reinstalling. I just reformated my computer last week, and this has been happening for a couple weeks now.
A brand new document in photoshop is fine and saves fine.

It only happens to files / documents that were carried over from the reformat (that were saving LARGE), and I've been copy/pasting some of those projects as i start new projects (without realizing they were still saving LARGE jpgs) - so a lot of my new projects are all 'infected' if you will.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read reports of large jpeg files because of metadata. Have you tired exporting it without metadata?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not the metadata. I get the same thing when I copy / paste the jpg into a new document , 6mb+

If i open a LARGE LP.jpg file, Select All, Copy, File > New > Paste, Save As - it stays the same 7mb

If i open a LARGE LP.jpg file, File > New, Drag / Drop the jpg, Save As - it stays the same 7mb

If i open a LARGE LP.psd file, Merge Visible, Select All, Copy, File > New > Paste, Save As - it stays the same 7mb

If i open a LARGE LP.psd file, Merge Visible, File > New > Drag / Drop, Save As  - it stays the same 7mb

HERE'S THE EXTRA WEIRD PART:

If i open the LP.psd file, File > New > Drag / Drop all the LAYERS, Save As - it saves at 600kb

The above is the only way I can fix the LARGE file sizes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess i stumped everyone. That's nice.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That observation is irrelevant to say the least.

Check out the Ancestor Metadata (File > File Info > Raw Data) and see this thread:

Inflated JPG File Size - Photoshop Document:Ancestors Metadata

I guess i stumped everyone.

No, but you chose to ignore Theresa J’s advice.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same issues i tried the link but it just takes me to the reg community 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy)?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you post (a link to) one of the affected jpgs?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Save for Web works fine, but that's irrelivant. I want to be able to Save As a normal jpg. Save for web always takes me to the wrong folder. But Save As automatically puts you into the same folder as the PSD when saving.

Anyway, here is a link to an "XL" jpg file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xkik70iiacr3w05/BIG-IMAGE.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xkik70iiacr3w05/BIG-IMAGE.jpg?dl=0

^ 10x20 px  72dpi  - almost 6mb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save for Web works fine, but that's irrelivant.

No, it is relevant as it proves that the issue is the Metadata, as Theresa J already conjectured several posts ago. And which you denied – apparently incorrectly.

In the thread I posted the link to a Script is available for removing the excessive metadata.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I didn't ignore her. I took her advice, searched youtube for how to remove metadata, they showed a video where all you need to do is select all > copy > new > paste > done. This 'should' remove metadata according to the video, but I was still having issues.

Her question was: "Have you tired exporting it without metadata?" So yes. Yes i did try. You don't need to be rude. Not my fault she didn't include directions or instructions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turns out you guys were right anyway.

I created and ran that script on an affected XL file and its back to normal.

Appreciate the help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have to run this script now every time you save a JPG?

If so, go to the bottom answer with the quick export instructions. I'll be doing this from now on. Thanks Adobe for a making a JPG file as complicated as possible!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just something you run if you have a big file.You only need to run it with files that are inflated with Metadata. Since the script removes metadata to lower file size, if your file size is small already it probably isnt inflated with metadata and won't require you to run the script.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide link i have the same issue and have been searching youtube and google and nothing to help so far

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To make things easier, here is a link to the Photoshop.JSX so you can just download it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ryiuehzv9f2b0m/photoshop.jsx?dl=0

All you need to do is Download the file > Save on your desktop (or wherever), and anytime you run into a bloated JPG file just goto File > Scripts > Browse > Locate the script you saved > Now Save As JPG 

However if you're only version 22.4 or newer of photoshop, Adobe has broken/deleted the Save As JPG /PNG functionality which millions of users use on a daily basis. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to be rude. Not my fault she didn't include directions or instructions.

It is certainly honourable that you tried to figure it out yourself with the help of tutorials, unfortunately incorrect or incomplete tutorials do apparently exist.

So if a post is not clear enough then you may want to ask the poster themselves for more information.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fastest way i was able to save JPG files smaller was to go to:

File>Export>Export Pref

change the quick export to JPG @ 100%

then everytime i export it my 15MB file becomes a 900kb

or go to File> Export as then change values there

you can make files even smaller by changing quality to a smaller %

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had exactly this problem. I found that the only way to stop it happening was to create a new (same size) PSD. And then - the ONLY way it worked for me was to create a new layer folder in the original document, put the layers in there and THEN shift+drag the layer folder over to the new document. I found that if I didn't put the original layers into a new layer folder in the original document and I just dragged the layers over then the problem just moved to the new PSD file. Weird!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked whether excessive ancestor metadata was present?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi yes. And the moment I copied over an individual top-level layer from the original document it appeared in the new file's file info too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a Script in

Inflated JPG File Size - Photoshop Document:Ancestors Metadata

that should be able to address this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines