Photoshop saying not enough RAM on Mac Pro Apple Silicon

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after created a maximum of 10/15 levels it no longer makes me use the program because it tells me that the ram is full even if I set the use of the ram to 100%

TOPICS
Bug, Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that you're getting an error message in Photoshop saying that your Ram is full.

Which version of Photoshop are you using and what is the version of macOS you're running on your computer?

Please checkout this page on Photoshop Performance and optimize the app preferences to free up some memory:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

You can try freeing up RAM in Photoshop by closing all other images and invoking Edit > Purge > All.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't ever set RAM allocation to 100%!

That will quickly choke the whole machine completely. Other applications and background processes need memory too!

Always leave 2-4 GB for the rest of the system. The more RAM you have installed, the higher you can set the percentage. With 8 GB, set it to 60%. With 32 GB, you can go up to 80% or so.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue as well. Very frustrating.

System:

macOS Big Sur: 11.2.2

Photoshop: 22.2.0

Adobe Camera Raw: 13.1

Macbook Pro: Apple Silicon M1: 16 GB RAM, 2TB HD (Plenty of HD free)

Photoshop Ram Setting: 10984MB (77%)

File:

ACR Developed CR2 @ 6720x4480 8bit

Once the file is developed in PS from ACR, the error comes when I try to save the image as a JPEG.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLUTION:

I had Media Encoder open after having just encoded some video. According to Activity Viewer, the aerender process was hogging most of the free system memory. Quitting Media Encoder seems to have restored order.  

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines