• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop says it doesn't have enough RAM

Advisor ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently bought a new computer so that I could run Photoshop editing very large files which was proving impossible on my 7-year old PC.  I got a Dell quad-core gaming laptop with a hard drive of 1TB for my data and 256 GB SSD.  For the most part everything has been going smoothly but after awhile I start getting messages like this:  "Photoshop could not complete this operation because there was not enough memory (RAM)."   I found a post online that I should go to Preferences>Performance>Let Photoshop Use and move the slider up to 100%.  I did that and that helped for awhile but I am now getting these messages again.  The files I am working on are on an external hard drive and not on my PC.  Here are my drive usages:

OS (C:) 162 GB used 62 GB free

DATA (D:) 297 GB used 633 GB free

External hard drive:  878 GB used 983 GB free

Do I not have enough OS disk space to run Photoshop effectively? 

Thanks,

Barton

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

If you have only the OS drive as a scratch disk, you may be running into trouble because of low remaining disk space. Assign your data (D:) disk to the list and see how it goes.

Read this article to understand what Scratch disks are and how to best set them up.

Scratch Disk

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have only the OS drive as a scratch disk, you may be running into trouble because of low remaining disk space. Assign your data (D:) disk to the list and see how it goes.

Read this article to understand what Scratch disks are and how to best set them up.

Scratch Disk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 15, 2018 Jul 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that link.  I read the article, and am ready to assign my D drive as a scratch disk.  But I just want to absolutely certain - doing so will not overwrite data on that drive, will it?  Also, the article said that I should copy the files I am using in my current project to my scratch disk.  My files are on an external hard drive (F drive), so do I need to copy them to the D drive?  Or should I use the 2 TB F drive as my scratch disk - it's using less than 1 TB for the files.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can be absolutely sure your files will not be overwritten. But that does not mean you should not make backups. All drives will fail eventually.

A scratch disk is nothing more than free space on any drive you give Photoshop permission to use.

You don't need to move your files to the D drive.

As you have ample space on your D drive and F drive use the fastest of the two as your scratch disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

How much RAM do you actually have, gaming PC's/Laptops normally only have 8GB of RAM and you mentioned that you're working with very large files

Never let Photoshop use 100% of RAM you need RAM of other processes like the OS etc, 70% is the recommended

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16GB.  That's good to know about not letting PS use 100% - I will change that back.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot work on the program because there is a message stating that the memory is full. My question is whether Photoshop has a memory or not

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

7777.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines