• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Scratch Disk Setup Disabled

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep on getting the frustrating error message "scratch disks are full" sometimes at startup, and other times in the middle of a project.
I have followed all the advice I possibly can (Photoshop cannot launch because the scratch disk is full, hold down the Cmd + Opt keys (Mac) oon launch to set a new scratch disk.)

When holding down Cmd+Option key, I do get the dialog box, but I cannot add or change anything. It is simply another irriating dialog box with ZERO FUNCTIONALITY.

Trying the Shift+Cmd+Option keys to reset preferences did not help either.

Can anyone please assist me in this matter?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Check how the disk is formatted. MacOS will not accept exFAT since Catalina. Use APFS or HFS+.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pixel-based image editing requires large amounts of memory, much more than any RAM you may have installed. So Photoshop writes temporary working data to disk. This is the scratch disk. Without sufficient disk space, Photoshop cannot function.

When you get that message, it means you are critically low on disk space. You need to take that message seriously, or you will soon have bigger problems than Photoshop. If you don't have another disk available that you can assign, you need to free up space on your system drive ASAP (which, BTW, you should do in any case).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the feedback.

I do have another disk available (e.g. I have assigned an external drive to function as a scratch disk in After Effects)

HOWEVER, Photoshop does not give me the option to choose another disk - that is essentially the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check how the disk is formatted. MacOS will not accept exFAT since Catalina. Use APFS or HFS+.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it does not give me the option to choose my other disk either ... I don´t know how to make my external hard drive as a scratch disk for photohsop... somebdoy help me out please, Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked mine is EXFAT... maybe that´s why...

how do i use as a APFS or HFS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case you have to empty the drive and reformat it. If there's anything there you need to keep, copy it to a different drive and move it back afterwards.

The fomatting itself is done in the operating system. I'm on Windows myself, so I can't tell you where.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have 200GB available on my computer flas storage.. and still says photoshop scratch disk is full... Is that normal/usual? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines