• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop scratch disks are full on a brand new mac

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought a brand new iMac and photoshop is giving me the "scratch disks are full" error. Everywhere I look says to clear up space, but there is almost nothing on this mac so how could storage be full?

I cannot find an answer for this anywhere so any help or advice on fixing this issue is greatly greatly appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Wow okay I see. After creating the document and opening the image size, I realized that it was set to something like 300,000 pixels by 300,000 pixels. During the creation of a new project I did not realize that it was set to inches instead of pixels (I am used to it always being set to pixels). So instead of setting it to 3000 pixels it was set to 3000 inches. Well now I feel silly. 

After changing it to pixels it now works as it should. No more errors. Thank you so so much for taking the time t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen specifically when you select New?

also, check free space when the message is actually on screen; I've never known a case where it was mistaken. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It allows me to open photoshop and create a new project. But when I try to add an image to the canvas it gives me the error. 

Also, what do you mean check free space when the message is on the screen? This is all that pops up when I get the error.. Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 11.32.28 AM.png

But I am cleary no where close to running low on storage.. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 11.33.10 AM.png

And when I view the scratch disks in photoshop it clearly recognizes that I have over 418GB of storage. I just don't get why it keeps giving me this error. (Also not actually a 2012 iMac, thats just what I named the partition. Its a inside joke). 

Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 11.38.22 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please repeat the test (for free space) when the Photoshop error is actually on screen, without clicking OK. Please post those results. (You won't be able to look at Preferences while the message is on screen of course). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's important to repeat this test with the message on screen, because Photoshop really CAN use up all that space if things go wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I did what you said. I got the error to popup and then I opened up storage via "about this mac" and here is the result. Says that I now have only 5GB of storage available.. How is this possible? As soon as I close the error message the storage goes back to 448GB of free space. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 1.20.08 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. So we have established that Photoshop really is using all the disks. That's good, at least it can count. Now, we have to figure out WHY. After you open or create the image, please Go to Image > Image Size and post a screen shot of what you see there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow okay I see. After creating the document and opening the image size, I realized that it was set to something like 300,000 pixels by 300,000 pixels. During the creation of a new project I did not realize that it was set to inches instead of pixels (I am used to it always being set to pixels). So instead of setting it to 3000 pixels it was set to 3000 inches. Well now I feel silly. 

After changing it to pixels it now works as it should. No more errors. Thank you so so much for taking the time to walk me through this and help me figure out what was causing the error. I was convinced it was malfunctioning, but nope just user error! Thanks again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines