• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop selecting everything EXCEPT the selection

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I make a selction using the pen tool, right click and select "Make selection..." it selects evertyhing EXCEPT what is in the path I selected. Of course CTRL Shift I reverses it and I can get what I originally wanted, but this just changed randomly, for no reason that I can discern.

And I'm not sure if I'm alone, but it seems that every day there is some random thing that just changes the way it works. Is there a "Change random setting daily just to piss off Robert" check box that I'm missing? 😉

Here's another one that happens all the time. Photoshop will just stop responding to any input I make with the keyboard. For example, I'm using the pen tool and then want to swtich to the brush tool. I can press the B key 10,000 times and it won't change to the brush tool, but if I Alt-Tab out of the program and back in it starts responding. Anyone else seen this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Check path operations for the pen tool in the options bar.  It sounds like you have it set to "subtract front shape"

davescm_0-1598559423559.png

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds as if it's inverting the selection automatically but I don't know why that would be. Try trashing your preferences yet?

Having to Alt-Tab to be able to switch tools using shortcuts? That doesn't happen to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check path operations for the pen tool in the options bar.  It sounds like you have it set to "subtract front shape"

davescm_0-1598559423559.png

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was it. I have no idea how that got changed because I have never been in that box before. I'm thinking it's that random change setting. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You may have hit the - (minus) key with the path selection tool (black arrow) and a path selected. That changes the selected path to subtract, but that subtract path operation remains in place when you switch back to the pen tool.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines