Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop settings issue - Mask layer double click

Enthusiast ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

today i let someone work on my system and when i came back i could not get to the mask layer editing by double clicking it.

he said there was a message window poping up and he just pressed ok.
so i guess for some reason PS asked him (after month that i worked with it) how it should handle a double click on the mask layer.

normaly when i double click on the mask layer, PS displays the mask layer and can paint on it. now PS just shows to the properties panel.

how do i get the old behavior back?

i reseted the warning dialogs already (in the preferences) but that did not help.

i really don´t want to reset all of photoshops settings. there must be an easier way... right?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so i guess for some reason PS asked him (after month that i worked with it) how it should handle a double click on the mask layer.

Hopefully you don’t really believe that …

Anyway, check out

Photoshop > Preferences > Tools > Double Click Layer Mask Launches Select and Mask Workspace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

c.pfaffenbichler  schrieb

Hopefully you don’t really believe that …

Anyway, check out

Photoshop > Preferences > Tools > Double Click Layer Mask Launches Select and Mask Workspace

i have seen stranger thing with PS.

he is someone who normaly don´t messes with people.

thanks for your idea.... but i don´t want to launch the select and mask workspace. i want to see the layer mask in the working area and be able to paint on it.

the default behavior when you install PS.

alt click on the mask layer and the mask is displayed instead of the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but i don´t want to launch the select and mask workspace.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

double click on the mask layer and the mask is displayed instead of the image.

On Mac the default for displaying a Layer Mask seems to be different, in my experience it’s alt-click, not double-click.

But as Ged Traynor recommended, resetting the Preferences should revert to the default settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

latest version of PS, windows 10 64 bit

Untitled-2.jpg

but instead of this behavior, photoshop now just switches to the properties panel of the mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok i reseted the preferences. i think its faster than trying around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double clicking on the layer mask brings up this dialog

Untitled.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you very much - it really helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Photoshop and OS do you have, can you post a screenshot with the layers panel opened

Have you tried resetting PS preferences

Preferences in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the preference window choose Tools > The uncheck the option "Double Click Layer Mask Launches Select and Mask Workspace" Zrzut ekranu 2018-11-08 o 16.30.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the double click option is annoying, i disbled it, thanks! never knew...

i got into troubles with huge 100 and 150MP files, when the mask editor opened, and i double clicked by accident so many times, and the mask editor was stuck, due to heavy rendering, 

the mask editor is very slow with large raws.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines