Highlighted

Photoshop stops working (cursor unexpectedly changes to "arrow" and stays that way)

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a project. Suddenly, the brush tool (but also any other tools) turns into regular "arrow" cursor and stays that way. Since now, I am not able to do anything: I can click whenever I want (tool bar, layers, panels etc, work area) but nothing happens. The only thing I can do is to save the project, close it and reopen so I can continue the work (I dont have to close Photoshop, just the project I work on).

It's been happening since last update, on every project I did, sometimes one time per hour, sometimes more. Reseting Photoshop settings doesn't help. I work on Windows 10 and use Wacom Intuos4.

TOPICS
Bug, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop stops working (cursor unexpectedly changes to "arrow" and stays that way)

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a project. Suddenly, the brush tool (but also any other tools) turns into regular "arrow" cursor and stays that way. Since now, I am not able to do anything: I can click whenever I want (tool bar, layers, panels etc, work area) but nothing happens. The only thing I can do is to save the project, close it and reopen so I can continue the work (I dont have to close Photoshop, just the project I work on).

It's been happening since last update, on every project I did, sometimes one time per hour, sometimes more. Reseting Photoshop settings doesn't help. I work on Windows 10 and use Wacom Intuos4.

TOPICS
Bug, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 24, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Does switching to another application and back have any effect? 

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far? 

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After turning off »Use Graphics Processor« everything seems to work. What could that mean?

I would prefer to keep that feature on.

As I mentioned before, it started to happen right after I update Photoshop to its newest version, I also restored the preferences earlier and it didn't fix the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you manage to resolve the issue without having to turn off "Use Graphics Processor"? Im having this exact same issue and im using Windows 10 and use the Cintiq Pro 24".. 

I tried re-installing an older to an older version of photoshop, and it still experiences the same issue... wondering if this is a Windows/PC issue or a Photoshop software issue... 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I still experience this issue in Photoshop 22.0.0 realese. It doesn't happen so often tho. I have a temporary and quick solution for that. When the cursor stops working properly, go to Window > Arrange > New Window for... <the name of the document you're working on>

It opens the same document in a new tab, so you can close the "broken one" and the cursor will work in the new one. It saves more time that to save the document, close it and reopen.

Hope that makes sense.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a similar problem with mine since the last update whereas it just *poof* disappears, even though I've never hit the caps button. Even if I did and I hit the caps to reveal, nothing happens. Therefore I'm forced to restart Photoshop in order to see my brush cursor again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a temporary and quick solution for that. When the cursor stops working properly, go to Window > Arrange > New Window for... <the name of the document you're working on>

It opens the same document in a new tab, so you can close the "broken one" and the cursor will work in the new one. It saves more time that to save the document, close it and reopen.

Hope that makes sense.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 0
CylenX LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this happens all over Photoshop, whether I open a new window or even close out everything to show the home screen. When I say it's invisible, I mean it's.... invisible on every area on Photoshop: drop down menus (File, Edit, Layers, etc), home screen, you name it, it's not there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this issue now on both my work computer a MAC and Windows 10 at home. After reading the information below it doesn't seem that there is a fix for this yet. Please let me know if there is a fix soon it is really disrupting my work flow.

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2020 0