Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop stuck while painting

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just started paying for Photoshop like 3 days ago, because I wanted a powerful software to work with photos since I can't do it properly and easily in Clipstudio Paint EX.

The issue is that the software just... Stop working after 4 minutes of painting, which is insanely annoying. And I'm beginning to feel that I just got scammed for a software which doesn't even work.

I didn't even installed any new brushs, I'm working on a fresh install of Photoshop, I didn't touched any settings, I just launched the software, and started to paint on a 7680x4320 sheet since this is the resolution I usually use for my illustrations.

I don't understand why it doesn't work, I tried to launch the software as an administrator, I don't understand what to do more.

I have an high end computer I7 10700K, 32gb of RAM, the software on an SSD, RTX 2070 Super graphic card...

Does anyone know I can use the software I paid for ? I don't even have a "error message", it's like the sheet "freeze", I can click on brushs and layers, but it does nothing it's like the sheet is no longer responding.

Thank you in advance !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»And I'm beginning to feel that I just got scammed for a software which doesn't even work.«

Photoshop certainly has bugs but claiming that Photoshop »doesn't even work« seems like an obvious misstatement. 

So do you have to force-quit Photoshop? 

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far?

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

What are the Performance and Scratch Disk related Preferences settings? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/scratch-disks-preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you for you answers.

So this is what I see when the bug occurs. I have an XP-PEN 15.6 Pro as graphic tablet, with the last driver released in January 2021.

When I paint, the sheet just "freeze" and nothing respond, I can click on layers but nothing happen. I can't draw anymore. The sheet finally become "black" like on the screenshot.

And yeah, maybe Photoshop can work, but for my case it doesn't... I'm really disappointed because I moved from ClipStudio to get a powerful software to work with photos, I hope you will be able to help.

For performance I allowed 20gb of RAM to the software.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yes, I am forced to force quit the software and relaunch it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to work ! Thank you ! 

I was able to paint 1 hour withoug freezing. Thank you !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this is no proper solution as it invalidates GPU dependent features (like the Rotate View Tool, 3D Features and some Filter acceleration for example) but it indicates problems with the GPU driver or the OS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you can try to trouble-shoot the GPU/driver: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nothing work on this link.

I tried every fix and nothing work, the sheet is freezing if I use my GPU.

I guess I'm going to work with my CPU, it's better than nothing I guess...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What driver version are you using for your NVidia RTX 2070 ? 

I would recommend that you stick to NVidia's Studio drivers which are better tested with creative apps than their Game Ready drivers. If you update, choose Advanced options in the NVidia installer and then tick "Clean Install". That will ensure remnants of the old driver are not carried forward.

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-uk#

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines