• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop unable to open NEF files.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2017 Aug 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently downloaded the latest version of photoshop CC. The first time using this program it had worked fine, upon my second use of this program I discovered it's inability to open NEF files. Every time I've gone to open NEF files in photoshop it has worked, but the files duplicated themselves as XMP files. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I have updated Camera Raw and am using a DNG converter as a temporary solution.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photoshop is now unable to open DNG files as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The XMP files are irrelevant as all they are is a record of the changes you made while in camera raw and contain no image data. If your camera was recognised first time round then it must be supported by Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) and so something must have changed. Nikon proprietary software will often make raw files unreadable in ACR due to an incompatibility, therefore it is best not to use the Nikon software at all and let ACR do the work. Many people find that a card reader works well as that completely bye-passes the need for the Nikon application and opens the raw images directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a card reader. the images are usually only able to open in photoshop. it was recognized in an earlier version of photoshop. I wonder what changed with the newest version. It isn't opening DNG either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2017 Aug 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your camera model number?

You could  try downloading an earlier version of the DNG converter as 9.12 may have introduced some incompatibility with your Nikon camera. Exactly which one to choose depends on the camera model, but as Camera Raw was working until recently that might suggest v9.10 is ok and updating to 9.12 broke the converter. If you find the DNG converter does work with an earlier version that would mean you need an earlier version of ACR also. It's very important that you do not use the Nikon software with ACR -sounds as if your not, but just checking.

DNG Converters for Mac

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Macintosh

DNG Converters for Windows

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2017 Aug 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop cc does not work with raw files from my Canon or Nikon camera. It worked for one day. The next day the raw files could not be opened. Can you please email me a raw file that you know works with the current Photoshop cc so I can rule out a camera issue?

Ketti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ketti,

I don't have a Nikon camera so cannot provide a working NEF file, but if you give me the model no ie D700, D750 whatever it is, it may be possible to direct you to a website with test images that are known to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us what camera models you are using (Nikon and Canon)

Also, what is your version of Camera Raw? Go to Help > About plugins > Camera Raw to find out. (on a Mac it might be in the Photoshop menu instead of the Help menu)

Photoshop cc does not work with raw files from my Canon or Nikon camera.

Please describe in detail what happens when you try to open the files, and quote any error message in full.

A screenshot could also be useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ketty,

have you tried to open your NEFs with a third parts read-only program, as Opanda or PIE and confirm that no other programs modified the NEF ?

Alessandro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines