• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Undo Not Working (Toggle Last State Only, No Undo)

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issue with using undo in Photoshop. I recently updated to CC 2019 and Mojave at the same time. I am familiar with the changes Adobe made to the undo/step back shortcuts. When working in photoshop, undo will randomly not work (typically when I need it most). I can use "Toggle Last State" once, but have been caught in a predicament where I flattened the file, moved it and could only toggle the move, not the flattening, so the file had to be reverted to the last save. There is no rhyme or reason as far as I can tell, and if I try to replicate the issue, it will work fine, then randomly not work. When it happens, if I go up to edit, undo and redo will be greyed out, and toggle last state is active. If I toggle the last state, I still cannot undo or redo. I did discover that if I do get stuck, I can go into the history and cycle back through previous iterations. It's not a huge problem, it's just aggravating that it's not consistent, and I didn't know if there was some user error involved.

Specs:

macOS Mojave 10.14

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

Photoshop CC 2019 20.0.0

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Hey I recently updated as well.

I went into the keyboard settings and I switched the undo and the toggle last state commands.

The new settings were:

undo = cntrl + Z (this made it so that pressing ctrl +z multiple times would do multiple undos)

toggle last state = cntrl + alt + z (this made is so, pressing these buttons would only undo once)

Once i switched those commands ( so that Toggle last state= cntrl + Z, and  Undo =  cntrl + alt + z)

PS when back to normal functionality.

hope that makes sense!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi creatived,

We're really sorry for all the trouble. Have you tried restoring the Photoshop preferences back to defaults? If not, please do it. To know more about resetting Photoshop preferences, please refer: Preferences in Photoshop

If restoring preferences doesn't help then, turn on the "Legacy Compositing"  in Photoshop preferences > Performance tab, restart Photoshop and check if that helps.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you customized your undo shortcuts?

From Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts, choose the "Photoshop default set" and then relaunch Photoshop.

Jesper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I recently updated as well.

I went into the keyboard settings and I switched the undo and the toggle last state commands.

The new settings were:

undo = cntrl + Z (this made it so that pressing ctrl +z multiple times would do multiple undos)

toggle last state = cntrl + alt + z (this made is so, pressing these buttons would only undo once)

Once i switched those commands ( so that Toggle last state= cntrl + Z, and  Undo =  cntrl + alt + z)

PS when back to normal functionality.

hope that makes sense!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works!

Thx!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please report back if it doesn't stay fixed.

Since, as I previously noted, switching to another window and back temporarily relieves the problem (until the next occasion it happens, seemingly randomly), I'm wondering if what actually got it working again for you was switching to the preference window and back (not the preference change itself).

In any case, neither workaround should be necessary, so it'd be nice if they fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went into keyboard shortcuts, clicked on "use legacy undo shortcuts" and restarted photoshop. This seems to have solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oddly enough, something that has worked for me is switching focus to a non-Photoshop window and then returning to Photoshop. Magically, undo works again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, I'm glad it helped. Strange bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines