Highlighted

Photoshop update 2019 20.0 - I have no text cursor and can't highlight text

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated photoshop to 2019 20.0 and now the text tool is misbehaving. I see no cursor and I can't highlight or select type. There is just nothing. I obviously disabled the stupid lorum ipsum nonsense, so when I click with the text tool, there is absolutely no indication that anything is happening. My coworker has the same problem and reset his preferences which fixed nothing.

Also, when drag out a text box there is no edges, no bounding box, no transform boxes, just lots of nothing.

Running Sierra 10.12.6

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop update 2019 20.0 - I have no text cursor and can't highlight text

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated photoshop to 2019 20.0 and now the text tool is misbehaving. I see no cursor and I can't highlight or select type. There is just nothing. I obviously disabled the stupid lorum ipsum nonsense, so when I click with the text tool, there is absolutely no indication that anything is happening. My coworker has the same problem and reset his preferences which fixed nothing.

Also, when drag out a text box there is no edges, no bounding box, no transform boxes, just lots of nothing.

Running Sierra 10.12.6

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 17, 2018 2
Advocate ,
Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Please see this thread it may help you.

Cant Highlight Text

Or I suggest you reset your photoshop preferences and reboot it.

To rest preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut: Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings.

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2018 0
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset preferences, restarted computer.  Open my file, no change.

I read through that linked forum and they found a work-around. The text tool doesn't work until I open a NEW document.  Then it works normally in all my other files, and continues to work until I shut the computer down.  Upon reboot, it doesn't work anymore... until I open a NEW document.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2018 4
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "open NEW document" method fixed the issue for me. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2018 2
LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a meaningful screen recording or screenshots to illustrate what you are talking about.

Seems unlikely but does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue?

I obviously disabled the stupid lorum ipsum nonsense, so when I click with the text tool, there is absolutely no indication that anything is happening.

And what happens when you type after that?

And please dial down the tone.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much that worked

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2019 0
Jeff0D4E LATEST
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution still works, even with the 2020 update! Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Try enabling this option in preferences and restart Photoshop

enable legacy comp.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work for me. For what it's worth, the text tool works like it should. The problem is that when you highlight text, it doesn't show the highlight, but it replaces the copy like it should. Also, creating a new text block with the text tool doesn't show the bounding box, but it still produces text within the constraints when you type. Really sucks, Adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2018 6
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing is happening to me. I've also tried all the work arounds listed here and nothing is fixing it.
Extremely frustrating.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2018 6
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this to no effect. I'd like to change the option back - but now it has disappeared from the Performance form. Any idea how to get it back to uncheck it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2019 0
Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Are you talking about the Legacy Compositing option?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

I disabled it. Exited Photoshop and tested the result. Went back to change it and it's no longer there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean enabled.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2019 0
Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange, try resetting Photoshop preferences

Reset Pref.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Still gone. Lost all my recents, etc. but no 'Options' no 'Legacy Compositing' check box...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2019 0
Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need to uninstall and reinstall from the CC app

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Natch. That fixed it.

Still have the text editing issue I've mentioned in this thread that I think started with 20.0.1. 20.0.2 didn't fix.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2019 1
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having problems viewing the text box, highlighting, etc...I've found that if I work on or create my projects in RGB...not CMYK...the boxes "appear"   I just have to remember to switch it back before I send it off to the print shop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2019 2
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

II found this thread as I was having this problem.

Resetting preferences and ticking legacy made text appear, but setting the font to a normal size made it vanish, or so I thought...
What is actually happening for me is, the text is there but it's TINY! I have to set it to 1000pt type sizes before I even see it. This wasn't happening earlier this week.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the file’s resolution?

Could you please post a screenshot taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Character, Options Bar, …) visible?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2019 1
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the problem! It had set itself to a resolution of 1, when by default it should have been 72.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2019 2
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experimenting with all of the suggestions, and your realization of the resolution was my solution! Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue... really wish Adobe would address this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2018 4
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got this to work by enabling the second Legacy option under preferences....what a nightmare! Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 9.51.03 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2018 1
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest solution I've found is to open an RGB project. You can open any project - or even create a new one as long as the color profile is RGB. When you go back to the original project, your cursor should be there. For some reason, this issue seems to be triggered by CMYK profiles.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution found. This is a stupid work around but it works! I opened a work in progress and no text cursor. THEN I opened a NEW file. Tried the text tool and had a cursor as normal. The text tool work fine in the work in progress from then on. In fact, so far, even after I quit Photoshop CC 20.01 all files worked fine after reopening Photoshop CC 20.01.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2018 3