• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop v 22.4.1 keeps crashing

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macOS 11.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Photoshop v 22.4.1

This has been happening with the last several updates in Photoshop.  I use Lightroom Classic and ofter use "open as layers in photoshop".  Crashing might be related to using large brush tool in layer mask, but can't narrow it down to one thing.

I'm wondering if there are any setting I should check in 'Memory Usage' or 'Graphics Processor Settings' in the photoshop preferences.  

I'm happy to give more info, or share EtreCheck report it's helpful to troubleshoot.

Thanks, Corey.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Out of curiosity, have you tried disabling GPU acceleration? If it doesn't crash like it's been doing, it's the GPU driver.

(Obligatory, "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Apple? Why you no give driver control to users?")

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try trashing your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold  Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder*, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

This action only affects the items found in the preferences dialog box. Numerous program settings are stored in the Adobe Photoshop Preferences file, including general display options, file-saving options, performance options, cursor options, transparency options, type options, and options for plug‑ins and scratch disks. Brushes (and lots of other setting) are not affected by the above instructions for deleting preferences. You may wish to make a screen capture of the settings in the Preferences dialog to reset them prior to deleting of this file.

Also: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

*To manually delete Photoshop preferences:
Quit Photoshop.
Navigate to Photoshop's Preferences folder:
macOS: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings
Settings

Note:
The user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS. To access files in the hidden user Library folder, see How to access hidden user library files.
Drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe for a back-up of your settings 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions, I followed them, but still crashing pretty regularly.  I still can't narrow it down to one action, sometimes it's just on startup.  I've also run Disk Doctor, and deleted caches, still crashing.  

Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, have you tried disabling GPU acceleration? If it doesn't crash like it's been doing, it's the GPU driver.

(Obligatory, "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Apple? Why you no give driver control to users?")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks SO much, seems to be working, so far at least 😉

So, what am I giving up by turning GPU acceleration off?  Seems like some of my tools might be slightly slower, but it's hard to tell.  Should I dig further into fixing the GPU issue?  I'm planning on replacing my iMac with whatever new larger one that might come out this fall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html   🙂

It's mostly QoL stuff. Mostly. Some features aren't available at all (like render). You might not be able to fix the GPU issue as you're at the mercy of Apple's driver updates (if they have anything at all at this point; the tech world acts like something four years old is ancient but, really, who are they kidding?).

Is there maybe a way to reinstall/repair the current driver if you can't get an updated driver? I'm not familiar with macOS as I am with Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even with GPU acceleration disabled My photoshop still crashed regardless. HELP!

below is my "little bit system info" . Hope it does gave general ideas.

Adobe Photoshop Version: 24.7.0 20230719.r.643 efe3886 x64
Number of Launches: 30
Operating System: Windows 11 64-bit
Version: 11 or greater 10.0.22621.2134
System architecture: AMD CPU Family:15, Model:1, Stepping:0 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AVX2, HyperThreading
Physical processor count: 6
Logical processor count: 12
Processor speed: 3700 MHz
Built-in memory: 16310 MB
Free memory: 10445 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 12024 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 70 %
Crash Handler: Adobe
DCX Version: 7.1.5
SAM SDK Version: 4.1.4
ACP.local Status:
- SDK Version: 3.2.0.1
- Core Sync Status: Unknown
- Core Sync Running: Unavailable
- Min Core Sync Required: 4.3.4.2
Live Edit Client SDK Version: 4.0.0
Content Credentials is not available
D3D12Warp renderer: Disabled.
Manta Canvas: Enabled.
Alias Layers: Disabled.
Highbeam: Disabled.
Image tile size: 1028K
Image cache levels: 4
Font Preview: Medium
HarfBuzz Version: 4.3.0
TextEngine: Unified Text Engine
======= GPU
Native API stable: True
OpenGL API stable: True
OpenCL API stable: True
GPUDeny: 0
GPUForce: 0
useGPU: 1
useOpenCL: 1
isGPUCapable: 1
GPUName: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
GPUVendor: AMD
IsNativeGPUCapable: 1
IsOpenGLGPUCapable: 1
IsOpenCLGPUCapable: 1
HasSufficientRAM: 1
GPU accessible RAM: 12,242 MB
Required GPU accessible RAM: 1,500 MB
UseGraphicsProcessorChecked: 1
UseOpenCLChecked: 1
Windows remote desktop: 0
Windows available feature level: 12.2
Windows required feature level: 12.0
Windows has required feature level: 1
Display: 1
Display Bounds: top=0, left=0, bottom=1080, right=1920
Display: 2
Display Bounds: top=0, left=1920, bottom=1080, right=3840

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps try a thorough reset of Photoshop preferences?

(read this entire post before acting please)

Resetting restores Photoshop's internal preferences, which are saved when Photoshop closes.

If they become corrupt then various issues can occur.

Here’s some info on how to do that:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Manually removing preferences files is the most complete method for restoring Photoshop to its default state: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually

Manually removing preferences files is the most complete method for restoring Photoshop to its default state. This method ensures all preferences and any user presets which may be causing a problem are not loaded.

1. Quit Photoshop.

2. Navigate to Photoshop's Preferences folder.
    macOS: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings
    Windows: Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

Note: The user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS. To access files in the hidden user Library folder, see How to access hidden user library files.
  3. Drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe for a back-up of your settings

4. Open Photoshop.

New preferences files will be created in their original location.

Note re macOS: The user Library folder is hidden by default.

To access files in the hidden user Library folder, see here for how to access hidden user library files.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

Unexpected behaviour may indicate damaged preferences. Restoring preferences to their default settings is a good idea when trying to troubleshoot unexpected behaviours in Photoshop. check out the video

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

Learn how to access and modify Photoshop preferences and customise per your frequent workflows

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

And here’s an earlier forum discussion as an aid to understanding

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-reset-photoshop-pre...

You may want to backup your settings and custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences.

Here is general info about that:  https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#BackupPhotoshoppreferences

Before you reset your preferences

in case of future issues, I suggest you make a copy as Adobe may need one to check problematic references. 

Quit Photoshop.
Go to Photoshop's Preferences folder

Preferences file locations: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preference-file-names-locations-photoshop.html\

[on MacOS see: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

Note for those on macOS: - be aware that the user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

In the Finder, open the “Go” menu whilst holding down the Option (Alt) key.

Library will now appear in the list - below the current user's “home” directory. ]

Now you can drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe as a back-up of your settings.

Note for those on macOS:

Preference preservation is affected by macOS permissions,

you’ll need to allow Photoshop ‘Full Disk Access’ in your Mac OS Preferences/Security and Privacy

If that doesn't fix the issue:

Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Multithreaded Compositing - and restart Photoshop.

Still hanging? 

Go to Preferences > Performance... click Advanced Settings... and uncheck "GPU Compositing" - then restart Photoshop. 

Do you still have problems?

It may even be time to reinstall Photoshop.

It’s recommended that you use the Adobe CC cleaner tool to remove all traces first.

(See above about preserving preferences though! It’s worth preserving them unless they are corrupted.)

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Uninstall Photoshop BUT make sure to choose the option “Yes, remove app preference”.

Once that process finishes, start the installation process and look into the “Advanced Options”. Uncheck “Import previous settings and preferences” and choose to “Remove old versions”.

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer

google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

alright thank for the reply.. somewhat re-install photoshop by following your last option is working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines