Photoshop v 22.4.1 keeps crashing

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macOS 11.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Photoshop v 22.4.1

This has been happening with the last several updates in Photoshop.  I use Lightroom Classic and ofter use "open as layers in photoshop".  Crashing might be related to using large brush tool in layer mask, but can't narrow it down to one thing.

I'm wondering if there are any setting I should check in 'Memory Usage' or 'Graphics Processor Settings' in the photoshop preferences.  

I'm happy to give more info, or share EtreCheck report it's helpful to troubleshoot.

Thanks, Corey.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021
Out of curiosity, have you tried disabling GPU acceleration? If it doesn't crash like it's been doing, it's the GPU driver. (Obligatory, "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Apple? Why you no give driver control to users?")

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try trashing your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold  Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder*, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

This action only affects the items found in the preferences dialog box. Numerous program settings are stored in the Adobe Photoshop Preferences file, including general display options, file-saving options, performance options, cursor options, transparency options, type options, and options for plug‑ins and scratch disks. Brushes (and lots of other setting) are not affected by the above instructions for deleting preferences. You may wish to make a screen capture of the settings in the Preferences dialog to reset them prior to deleting of this file.

Also: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

*To manually delete Photoshop preferences:
Quit Photoshop.
Navigate to Photoshop's Preferences folder:
macOS: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings
Settings

Note:
The user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS. To access files in the hidden user Library folder, see How to access hidden user library files.
Drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe for a back-up of your settings 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions, I followed them, but still crashing pretty regularly.  I still can't narrow it down to one action, sometimes it's just on startup.  I've also run Disk Doctor, and deleted caches, still crashing.  

Any other suggestions?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, have you tried disabling GPU acceleration? If it doesn't crash like it's been doing, it's the GPU driver.

(Obligatory, "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Apple? Why you no give driver control to users?")

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks SO much, seems to be working, so far at least 😉

So, what am I giving up by turning GPU acceleration off?  Seems like some of my tools might be slightly slower, but it's hard to tell.  Should I dig further into fixing the GPU issue?  I'm planning on replacing my iMac with whatever new larger one that might come out this fall.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html   🙂

It's mostly QoL stuff. Mostly. Some features aren't available at all (like render). You might not be able to fix the GPU issue as you're at the mercy of Apple's driver updates (if they have anything at all at this point; the tech world acts like something four years old is ancient but, really, who are they kidding?).

Is there maybe a way to reinstall/repair the current driver if you can't get an updated driver? I'm not familiar with macOS as I am with Windows.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines