Photoshop Version: 22.4.0 Update has a mega bug jpg no more possible to save

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I made my Photoshop Update today to

Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.4.0 20210512.r.195 5b318a5  x64

Win 10 64 bit,

But when I like to use then function FILE > SAVE AS - there are no more the generall file formats like jpg, gif, bmp, etc. all this file formats are no more to selecrt, they are al gone !!!!

Only when I use this "new function" FILE > SAVE AS COPY - it's possible to save a jpg. This Update bug must be fixed very quick !!!!!

Also the Programm crashes every 5  min. during you work with it. Software is after this update absolutly unusable. It seems also that the Probram has problems with files which are temporary in your temp copy. And when you enter this files with "past" into photoshop, the Programm crashs and a bug report windows pops up

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a bug.

The Save As dialog now only lists formats that support all the properties of your file. If jpeg etc. is not listed, it's because your file has e.g. layers, or other properties not supported in the jpeg specification.

Personally I welcome this change. It will be a copy in any case, this just makes it very obvious. It avoids all sorts of confusion when people close the original and only later discover that all the file properties like layers are irretrieavably lost.

This way, you can't miss it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Personally I welcome this change"

I for one don't like the change, I have never had any issues saving files in Photoshop, I certainly have never been confused about how I save my files, it's not exactly rocket science.

Seems to me Adobe done this to fix what Apple broke in Catalina, an option to disable the feature would have been nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not confused either, Ged. But lots of people are, and then they come here.

Let's not forget that this is just reverting to how Photoshop originally behaved. If you had a layered file, or a 16 bit file, and wanted to save a jpeg, you couldn't. You couldn't because it was not allowed in the jpeg specification.

The option to save out a jpeg-copy-on-the-fly was introduced sometime around CS4 or CS5, with much fanfare - and, I should add, as a direct result of many user requests. The copy aspect of it was tricky, but solved by leaving the original still open on screen, with a second prompt to save if you tried to close it.

It was this second save prompt that threw people off and caused confusion no end, because most people then thought they had already saved the file and what on earth was this nonsense.

So again the confused users would come here. Wrong either way.

So my thinking is - if it's going to be confusing to people anyway, let it be straight up and out in the open, this is what happens when you do that - rather than a workaround for a workaround for a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Whilst  I can totally go this route - save a copy ---that adds additional steps to my work-flow which is really annoying.  I have to save a copy and then of course, I have to remove the word "copy" from my file name, which wouldn't be so bad in itself, but after I finalize my full res image, I like to make a smaller web sized graphic to go with it. I used to just have to hit "save as" again, and then add the "-web" extension to my filename that I use to differentiate full res & web graphics...now, even after I save the first Jpg, because it was only a copy, when I resize for the web, it's not re-sizing the copy, but going back to the raw file and I have to do the whole save a copy process again.   I realize that's it's just a few small extra steps, but that can really suck the joy out of editing, seriously.  I like to get into a groove with my editing, and this makes it so much more redundant.  They should at least have an option in the settings as to whether you want it to go this route or not...it already annoys me that they stopped letting me work on my saved photo as it is. 

I have been using photoshop since version 3.....and now it feels like I am back to using version 3, only w/ bells and whistles this time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The Save As is not a bug, it was done because Apple broke it with Catalina, didn't bother to fix it, Apple customers complained to Adobe, Adobe fix what Apple didn't fix and Windows users have to suffer for Apple breaking it.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2021-4.html

As for the crashes, you're not alone, there's plenty of post on the forum affecting both Windows and MAC users, Version 22.xx is a bit of a roller coaster ride for most users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but that's not the biggest Problem. Since my update today Photoshop crashes every 2 minutes. I have restaret Photoshop the last 1/2 hour for maybe 20 times. Every second funtion make a crash. Doesn't matter what I'm doing. Have to find now a function to undo this bad update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SODemon ,

This is a separate issue. You might want to revert to the last version that worked for you using the Creative Cloud app and report this as a bug to Adobe here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/

Have you tried resetting preferences after backing up customization? Prefs > General > Reset Prefs on Quit.

~ Jane 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines