• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop vs. Photopea

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are delays in activating my Photoshop license within my company and I have exhausted my trial period, so I have found until then as an alternative: Photopea​

It seems to do the trick for the moment, but I would like some input from the more experienced users before working and commit-ing with it.

I'm sure it is not as good as Photoshop, but I would like to know:

1. What are the downsides to using Photopea?

2. Can you export to all PNG versions that you can in Photoshop?

3. Does Photopea display fonts like Photoshop does?

To be honest, I would only be using it for exports from an already finalized PSD file, so the differences in exportation are most crucial to me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

I've heard of Photopea, but like the others, since we have Photoshop we haven't spent any time with Photopea. I looked at it for 5 minutes and there are a few things that you can tell from that.

The main thing to understand about Photopea is that it runs in a web browser, so that's probably going to limit how much of your computer's RAM and CPU it can use. Although that might not matter if you're only using it for exports.

It looks very much designed for web developers. It seems to be missing a lo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might get better answers from the other apps website... I've never heard of it and users here are actually using Photoshop.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never heard of Photopea. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've heard of Photopea, but like the others, since we have Photoshop we haven't spent any time with Photopea. I looked at it for 5 minutes and there are a few things that you can tell from that.

The main thing to understand about Photopea is that it runs in a web browser, so that's probably going to limit how much of your computer's RAM and CPU it can use. Although that might not matter if you're only using it for exports.

It looks very much designed for web developers. It seems to be missing a lot of features for other media like print and video. If you're concerned with PNG export, maybe that's fine. But its PNG export has fewer options than Photoshop, at least in the free version.

Photoshop displays text using its own Adobe composition engine, which is rather sophisticated. Because of that, Photopea probably does not display text exactly the same way. Also, Photopea appears to support web fonts only, probably because it runs in a web browser.

If this is for doing work for your company, then it sounds like the best judge of whether Photopea will work is by submitting some Photopea PNG exports to your company and see if anyone can spot anything wrong with them. Beyond that, if there's a Photopea forum on the web, that might be a better community to ask because you're more likely to find Photopea users who have used Photoshop, instead of Photoshop users who have used Photopea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For casual use, Photopea is indeed great. But if you really need to do some super stunning image you should still use Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Photopea is better for having the same usage with no subscription. The difference is that photopea is free, you save things on your computer rather than through a cloud, and it runs on web. Photopea does not use enough processing for it to struggle on the web, nor does photoshop. Most people don't save on the cloud but if that's important (let's say for work), use a flashdrive, google cloud, onedrive, etc..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines