Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop: When opening file, file formats are deactivated on default

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

since a while ago my Photoshop started having this weird error, which first I thought was a bug. Everytime I wanted to open a file through cmd+O or "file > open" an error messaged showed up, sometimes it just said it can't open the file because of a program error, sometimes it had a weird error code. Drag and drop into photoshop still works though. Then I figured out that when go to "open file", in the browser window where you select the file, there's a little dropdown menu at the bottom that says "activate" where you can choose which file formats are activated. If I choose "all documents" here, everything's fine and I can open files. Unfortunately this dropdown menu is blank on default everytime I want to open a new file. Can I permanently change this somewhere?

Thanks so much,

Miro

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

»If I choose "all documents" here«

Not »All readable documents«? 

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far? 

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»If I choose "all documents" here«

Not »All readable documents«? 

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far? 

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, "all readable documents" also works fine. Or if I choose the specific file format of the file I want to open as well.

Restoring preferences I haven't tried so far because I didn't want to lose anything of how I arranged my workspace in Photoshop, and I assumed that maybe it's a very simple setting I can make somewhere and I'm just missing out on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then Backup you current Preferences so you can restore then if resetting your preferences does not fix the problem. Once you have backed up your preferences reset your preference to see if that fixes tie problem.  If it does not you can restore the preferences from your backup. 

Resetting you preferences should not delete any Workspaces you have created for yoursef.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should save (and backup) your Workspace and other Presets (Actions, Brushes etc.) from time to time anyway. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah thank you two so much, it worked just fine! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You may notice for several days that you have yet forgotten to change settings back to your preferred state – in the Prefernces (remember Scratch Disks for example) and in the View-menu and also for individual Tools. 

Restoring Preferences is a nuisance but sometimes it is the only solution … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines