• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop will not let me "untick " the Active box in the Scratch Disk Window

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I want to untick the check box as i am getting messages that my scratch disk is full, but Photoshop will not let me. 

Can someone help please? thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't understand. Photoshop can't work without a scratch disk. It can't open, it can't run.

Raster image editing requires moving large amounts of data, much more than any RAM you may have installed. So Photoshop writes this temporary working data to disk. This is the scratch disk.

The scratch disk is Photoshop's main memory, with RAM as a fast access cache.

You should have at least 50-100 GB free disk space for the scratch disk. That's absolute minimum. To operate optimally, 500 GB is a more realistic figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok thanks, so i need to clear space on my hard drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. The more the better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Run, don't walk, to the store and buy an external hard drive. A full startup drive is just asking for huge problems from macOS, not just Photoshop. You need to clear maybe 50-100GB of space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines