• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop will not overwrite a file instead always saves a copy instead every time. Frustrating.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When doing web work and changing pngs or jpegs, it is vital to keep the same file name so you don't have to go back into the code and change the file name again. Photoshop is not overwriting an existing jpeg when saving with the same file name, it's adding 'copy' to the end of the file name and saving a second jpeg file. This means I have to go find the file delete the one PSD would not overwrite and delete the word "copy" from the new file. It is really a pain and save a copy is not checked by the way so that is not what is going on.  What gives. When you are in a production situation this is such a time suck.  I hope you are not going the way of Apple with Final Cut and making it useless for actual professionals and dumming it down for the masses.  So frustrating.  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user Forum, so you are not really addressing Adobe here, even though some Adobe employees thankfully have been dropping by.

The work-around is using Scripts, you can add your voice to the existing Bug Report: 

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-saving-copy-not-saving-over-jpg-fil...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you saying this is not an Adobe Support Community? Adobe doesn't run this site?  It is in the title and this is an Adobe URL.  We are not supposed to talk about issues with the software? Then what is this for exactly. According to the home page, it says:  "The Adobe Support Community is a place to ask questions, find answers, learn from experts, and share your knowledge. Because we are a community used by people of all ages, cultures, and people at work, we carefully moderate its content. Please help us keep them a safe and welcoming place for all members and abide by our Community Guidelines."

Not sure what is the point of having a support community if you don't ask about bugs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a peer-to-peer or user to user forum, the Adobe site that is regularly monitored by Adobe staff is here:

Submit product feedback

Yes, a different site with different login credentials. Adobe explain it here:

Where do I post Photoshop bugs and feature requests?

As users, we are stuck in the same position as you. We can and do freely offer our experience, knowledge and advice. It is not possible for users to make changes to the software code, that is for Adobe to do. Users might have workarounds or be able to write scripts that bypass or workaround a particular issue until it is fixed by Adobe. In the cases of save related issues, I believe that affected users have been waiting for over a year for Adobe to fix the issues. Until the issues are fixed, scripting is likely the best workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the Problem is only on some Mac machine on Windows when you use the Save As Dialog and you enter in a file that exists Photoshop will ask if you want to replace the existing file and if you do Photoshop will overwrite the existing file. I believe on some Mac machine there is a problem the file saved will be a  file that has copy added to the fine name.  In Batch mode Save AS will add Copy  to the file name there is no user interaction in a bach job.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue - its terrible and not seeing a solution here.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for more timely and effective answers”):
https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/community-how-to-guide-tips-amp-best-practices/td...

What have you done for all-purpose trouble-shooting so far?
Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to get it out of the way - are you doing anything to the file that is not allowed in the jpeg specification, such as 16 bit depth, layers, alpha channels or transparency?

Do you have "legacy save as" and "do not append copy" checked in Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Elements 2024 on a Mac and I'm guessing there is no legacy save as option for Elements.

Frustratingly, it even asks if I want to overwrite the file, I'll say yes and it'll proceed to still not overwrite and create a copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a MacOS security thing, not happening on Windows. It's probably caused by the same MacOS policy change that broke Photoshop's direct save to jpeg back in 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2024 Mar 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm using Elements 2024 on a Mac and I'm guessing there is no legacy save as option for Elements.

Frustratingly, it even asks if I want to overwrite the file, I'll say yes and it'll proceed to still not overwrite and create a copy.

By @Cobra.Blade

Please post on the Photoshop Elements Forum. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines