• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop won't open a PSD document - says it's not a valid file?

Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm struggling with two issues. This first issue has prompted the second and they must be related. Here's issue one:

I opened a JPEG in Photoshop and made some edits. I saved the PSD version because I prefer placing direct artwork into InDesign documents over PNGs or JPEGs... just a preference and something I was always taught to do. I closed the PSD file once I was done with my edits. I spent a very long time on these edits, so this is something I'd rather not have to do again. I tried to place the PSD, and InDesign says "Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation." On this thread here: Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation. I've found some information but nothing was relevant or useful to my situation. I can place any other file type.

Issue two: I then decided I would open the PSD file again just to see if I can tell what's up. Now Photoshop is telling me "Could not open [file name].psd because it is not a valid Photoshop document."

I have no idea what is going on here! Any insights will be useful.

Windows 10, latest version of Adobe CC. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me move this to the Photoshop forum for you, which is the appropriate forum for your question.

The Using the Community forum is for help in using the Adobe Support Community forums, not for help with specific programs. Product questions should be posted in the associated product community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible that the PSD in question is corrupted, which can happen if things like power surges or sags happen to your system. Does this happen to any other PSD?

(As an aside, if anyone does any mission-critical work and you're concerned about possible things like this happening, then invest in a UPS (uninterruptible power supply), which will condition the power going to your system.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

it sounds like its been corrupted.  Have you tried opening it in Preview or whatever the Windows equivelent is, to see if it can open there? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines