• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

photoshop won't open any files

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2017 May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!  The last few days, photoshop won't open any type of file.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times and tried difference workspaces.  I tried exporting to photoshop from lighroom, opening directly from photoshop, dragging files to ps, and right clicking images and selecting open with ps.  Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far?

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for quicker answers"):

http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2325

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have checked to make sure I have the current update for both photoshop and windows, and all drivers. I am running windows 10 with photoshop cc 2017. I followed the troubleshooting page you gave, and no luck so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You had good advice...

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for quicker answers"):

http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2325

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit - Preferences - Performance. Uncheck [ ] Enable OpenGL Display. Close and restart Photoshop.

Remember to turn OpenGL back on after you update your display driver, or you'll be without the OpenGL-specific features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated the driver for the video card, followed your advice and still nothing. =/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

performance -advanced setting change from advanced to basic .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me in 2020. During Corona Virus Lockdown. Thanks and be safe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

worked for me in 2021, during corona virus vaccination period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kim C.  The same thing is happening to me.  Did you ever get PS to work again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this ever resolved? I'm about to throw my company PC out the window. Photoshop won't open any files. My disdain for PC's is at all all time high. Wish my company would have ponied up for a Mac and this wouldn't even be an issue. Does anybody have a fix? Photoshop will not open any file. It's as good to me as a doorknob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few different posters are picking up on this thread... has anyone with this problem completely shut down and rebooted your machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have shut down and rebooted numerous times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No offense but, as an Adobe community professional, I would think that at this point any posters would would have thought of something so simple as to restart our computers. Thi sis a very irritating problem and it is even more irritating that we can't find an answer from Adobe. If it was something as simple as restarting, none of us would be here. Has anyone come up with a solution to this "Open with Photoshop" issue? This is some kind of Photoshop glitch since the last update. In teh past withother problems I have restored to an earlier version but I lose all my customs brushes and actions etc so I really don't want to go hunting around for some kind of solution. Try this and try that is not acceptable at this point. I don't have time to do all the suggestions to find out none of them worked. so can Adobe please find teh REAL solution and fix it with a patch or update or tell us "for certain" how to fix it? Please. Asking if we restarted is quite insulting of our intelligence. At this point if one knows how to use photoshop, one must be advanced enough to know to try retarting first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problem is not OS based as my MAC has same problem. Is probably a push to sell mor macs. Im going to buy a pc now. They expect you to biy and keep buying new computers so they can in turn buy bigger faster boats. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us your version of Mac OS or Windows, and exacy version of Photoshop. Please tell us what "won't open" means in detail. Best not to assume your problem is the same. It's impossible to say, in fact, because not one person shared their symptoms!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problems with my photoshop cc. Nothing has changed as far as need to update my system or ps. Ive tried troubleshooting with everything i could find online and nothing is workin!! Help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is this "same problem" you are having? All anyone has said so far is that Photoshop won't open any files. I can think of at least six different things that could mean, and I'd probably still be wrong. So we'd like to help, but please do tell us the details of what is wrong. It's also best not to say you've tried everything, because it means we are reluctant to suggest anything at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I right-click on a photo file, such as a *.jpg  and select 'open with photoshop', generally, Photoshop opens and there is the jpg, on the workspace ready to work on. Or, I want to create a new graphic file, under 'file', I select "new". Generally a window opens to determine size of the new file, etc.
Well neither of those things is happening. NO FILES ARE OPENING under any circumstances. How much more detail FILES NOT OPENING do you need The photoshop workspace sits there like an empty canvas upon whihc I cannot do any work because .... FILES WILL NOT OPEN?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so in detail of the problem I am having is that my photoshop cc will now allow me to create new or open a file. It remains on the start screen. If i try to create new it will allow me to choose size and preferences and then will not open it. If i try to open a file the start screen flashes like its going to load but then remains on start screen. Ive tried disabling the start screen, uninstalling and reinstalling, ive tried opening it in lightroom and export to edit in photoshop and that didnt work either. Nothing on my computer has changed or required an update since I had adobe creative cloud. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try resetting preferences?

PS delete prefs.png

Or running the Adobe CC Cleaner tool between the uninstall and the reinstall?

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, DeniseD: so the New or Open seems to work, in a way (no error message) but you don't see any new or existing document on screen, but you still see the Photoshop menus? I've seen this before in some apps where the document is open, but is off screen. Once this happens, use the Window menu and look to see if the new document or opened document is listed (even though you can't see it). In CC the document may appear right at the bottom of the Window menu (for example 1-Untitled). If it is shown, try using Window > Arrange > Tile and see if it becomes visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is a complicated problem. My IT team at the office contacted Adobe and their customer service gained access to my computer and fixed the issue after about 20 minutes of resetting things. I can't exactly explain what was done, but basically my dual monitor setup created an issue after an automatic update to Photoshop. They had to reset the driver back to the last update and now things work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which driver? This seems to be contrary to almost everything I've read of people shouting to update all of your drivers - I'm currently experiencing not being able to open anything in cc 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any time I try to open a file from anywhere (doing "Edit in" from Lightroom, pulling something from the desktop, dragging anything in). I never had this issue until updating to the most current version.

Is this what others are seeing?

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 9.44.17 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines