Highlighted

photoshop won't open any files

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!  The last few days, photoshop won't open any type of file.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times and tried difference workspaces.  I tried exporting to photoshop from lighroom, opening directly from photoshop, dragging files to ps, and right clicking images and selecting open with ps.  Please help!

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

photoshop won't open any files

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!  The last few days, photoshop won't open any type of file.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times and tried difference workspaces.  I tried exporting to photoshop from lighroom, opening directly from photoshop, dragging files to ps, and right clicking images and selecting open with ps.  Please help!

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far?

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for quicker answers"):

http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2325

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have checked to make sure I have the current update for both photoshop and windows, and all drivers. I am running windows 10 with photoshop cc 2017. I followed the troubleshooting page you gave, and no luck so far.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You had good advice...

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for quicker answers"):

http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2325

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit - Preferences - Performance. Uncheck [ ] Enable OpenGL Display. Close and restart Photoshop.

Remember to turn OpenGL back on after you update your display driver, or you'll be without the OpenGL-specific features.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated the driver for the video card, followed your advice and still nothing. =/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me in 2020. During Corona Virus Lockdown. Thanks and be safe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kim C.  The same thing is happening to me.  Did you ever get PS to work again?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this ever resolved? I'm about to throw my company PC out the window. Photoshop won't open any files. My disdain for PC's is at all all time high. Wish my company would have ponied up for a Mac and this wouldn't even be an issue. Does anybody have a fix? Photoshop will not open any file. It's as good to me as a doorknob.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few different posters are picking up on this thread... has anyone with this problem completely shut down and rebooted your machine?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have shut down and rebooted numerous times.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No offense but, as an Adobe community professional, I would think that at this point any posters would would have thought of something so simple as to restart our computers. Thi sis a very irritating problem and it is even more irritating that we can't find an answer from Adobe. If it was something as simple as restarting, none of us would be here. Has anyone come up with a solution to this "Open with Photoshop" issue? This is some kind of Photoshop glitch since the last update. In teh past withother problems I have restored to an earlier version but I lose all my customs brushes and actions etc so I really don't want to go hunting around for some kind of solution. Try this and try that is not acceptable at this point. I don't have time to do all the suggestions to find out none of them worked. so can Adobe please find teh REAL solution and fix it with a patch or update or tell us "for certain" how to fix it? Please. Asking if we restarted is quite insulting of our intelligence. At this point if one knows how to use photoshop, one must be advanced enough to know to try retarting first.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problem is not OS based as my MAC has same problem. Is probably a push to sell mor macs. Im going to buy a pc now. They expect you to biy and keep buying new computers so they can in turn buy bigger faster boats. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us your version of Mac OS or Windows, and exacy version of Photoshop. Please tell us what "won't open" means in detail. Best not to assume your problem is the same. It's impossible to say, in fact, because not one person shared their symptoms!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines