Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop won't open cr2 files loaded from lightroom

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

excuse for my english but i'm from italy and i know i have to improve it. At home i'm using Windows 10 64bit. I have a canon eos 6d (CR2 files). I use LR classic to import the cr2 files into my archive.

When i use a MacOs in my office, I simply drag the tubnail over the PS icon and Camera Raw open the file so i can work on it and then I click on open button to open it in PS. In Windows, If i use drag and drop process it don't work... so in LR i click the right button and I choose "Open in Adobe Photoshop"... but PS open it directly and don't open CR before... so I have to close the file opened in PS and the reopen it... then PS open CR correctly....

How can i solve this matter?!

Thank you in advance...

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Camera Raw plugin for Photoshop does exactly the same thing as Lightroom, so there is no point in opening a raw file sent from Lightroom in Camera Raw. Therefore, the file opens silently in Camera Raw, where the edits from Lightroom are applied, and then it opens in Photoshop.

Lightroom has Camera Raw built in, Photoshop uses it as a plugin, and they both offer exactly the same options for editing.

Lightroom/Camera Raw uses parametric, non destructive editing. This means that the edits are saved as text, and applied to a new file when opening in Photoshop, or exporting from Lightroom.

So the file that opens in Photoshop from Camera Raw or from Lightroom is no longer a raw file, but a new file rendered from the raw file. The edits that you do in Photoshop are not non destructive, the actual pixels in the file will be changed.

So do as much editing in Lightroom (or Camera Raw) as possible, and only use Photoshop when you have no other choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok... All what you said it's true.. but why don't i can lunch CR under PS when i load cr2 file from LR if on MACOS it's normal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Everything you can do in Camera Raw, you can also do in Lightroom. They are identical, but Camera Raw is hard coded into  Lightroom, but is a plugin for Photoshop.

So if you are editing an image in Lightroom, it's pointless to open it in Camera Raw.

When you send an image to Photoshop, it does open in Camera Raw first, but this happens behind the scenes.

It has to open in Camera Raw first, where Lightroom edits are applied, and a new file is rendered, which opens in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines