• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop won't open DNG files from the NAS, while LightRoom can. Permissions bug?

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Dragging a DNG file from my NAS into Photoshop always results in one of these two errors:

• "Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file." (almost all the time)
  • "File could not be opened due to a disk error." (rare)

However, dragging a copy of the DNG from the Desktop instead works fine, by opening Camera Raw and the image in it.

This is odd because LightRoom (latest) opens all my Raw files from the same NAS without issues.

Specs

• Computer: MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019)
  • Network: Synology NAS, formatted in SHR2, file system is btrfs
  • Photoshop version: latest (22.4.1)
  • Camera Raw version: latest (13.2)
  • macOS System Preferences > Security & Privacy as follows (note how Photoshop doesn't have checkboxes for Removable Volumes nor Desktop, while being able to open photos from the Desktop...):

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 7.51.17 pm.png

Note: Lightroom instead has all the privacy checkboxes and in fact it works fine with my Raw files on the same NAS:

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 7.58.31 pm.png

This makes me think that Photoshop failed to ask for all the same permissions that both Lightroom and Bridge ask for, which makes them work as intended.

Things I've already tried

• Uninstalled/reinstalled Photoshop
  • Downloaded and reinstalled Camera Raw
  • Added even more macOS System Preferences > Security & Privacy settings:

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 7.50.31 pm.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-28 at 7.50.06 pm.png

Thank you for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Leaving a reply as after 2 weeks of testing various things out, Photoshop has suddenly decided to work as intended for no apparent reason. Sorry for not being able to explain how I got it to work. I have no idea. And a big thank you to those who helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your NAS is in the wrong format for newer Mac OS. Mac OS will throw errors all day due to not being compatibly formatted ExFat with new OS specifications. Macs use HFS+ or APFS format but ExFat can be read by both Win and Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using LightRoom without issues off of the same NAS for months. The issue is with Photoshop only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is wrong. If you are using SMB to access a NAS, it doesn't matter what the formatting on the NAS is. Now there may be SMB compatibility issues but if every other app including sme Adobe apps can open the file but PS cannot, it's not how the remote drive is formatted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct. as SMB does abstraction from the source format, the native disk format should be of secondary interest. Indeed, most of the NAS will use their default Linux formatting. Speed is probably more important and the file size. DNG files tend to be huge. There is (my guess) somewhere a timer throwing an error if the operation needs to much time to complete. Lr is probably less critical here, as it is operating most of the time locally on a cached file. It may also be, that the i/o method used by those two products is different. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else who could help with this please?

As stated before, Lightroom works perfectly, it's just Photoshop which won't open the DNGs.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If its just specifically the DNGS, check your version of the Camera Raw Plugin - what version are you currently on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin, it’s the latest version. I also reinstalled the same latest version from the Adobe website using the standalone installer, just to make sure, and it still won’t open the DNGs from the NAS. It does open them when local on my SSD however. LightRoom instead works with both. Any other idea? Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However the fact that you can drag the DNG to your desktop and open tells you that it is an issue with your NAS drive. LR may work but this is a known issue with Apple Catalina and Big Sur and Photoshop. The solution is to format your externals to a Mac Compatible format for the Mac OS to read properly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. However this doesn’t explain how come LightRoom is able to open the DNGs while Photoshop can’t. In the screenshots I’ve shared this seems to boil down to a lack of permissions on the Photoshop part. LightRoom requests for access to remote volumes while Photoshop doesn’t. This would explain why one works while the other doesn’t, as if the OS had issues accessing the NAS, neither would work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may well be that Lightroom is not working with the original DNG but with a cached version from the library. It looks to me like a timing problem on the network. I suspect the DNG file to be quite huge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried it with a 620 MB dng from my NAS (it's a superresolution file created by camera raw) and photoshop opens it without any issues. Don't think filesize matters. I think the OP somewhere else noted it is actually the smaller files that are problematic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I recently discovered that Photoshop will open the much larger multi-shots DNGs (created in camera by my Leica SL2, 350 MB each), but it won't open the base, single-shots DNGs (47 MP each).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share one of the files that doesn't work? I use the exact same setup (a synology NAS formatted the exact same way - I posted on the reddit forum too which is how I found this thread) and have no problems whatsoever with opening files (dng, NEF, tiff, psd, etc.) directly in Photoshop/camera raw from it on a fileshare mounted through SMB. There is absolutely no reason why this wouldn't work. The underlying filesystem on a NAS does not matter whatsoever. It's irrelevant since the filesystem is not exposed to the client operating system. It's just a filesharing mount. My experience shows this is clearly the case. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason now Photoshop opens them without issues. I couldn't get it to work for over 2 weeks. Now it works with all of them. I didn't change a thing, no idea why it's working! Thanks for the help anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leaving a reply as after 2 weeks of testing various things out, Photoshop has suddenly decided to work as intended for no apparent reason. Sorry for not being able to explain how I got it to work. I have no idea. And a big thank you to those who helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Latest versions (as of 1/20/22). Lightroom opens them fine as does every other app. Only PS has an issue. It reports a disk error. And even that is intermittent. Some DNGs it opens just fine. Others it gives an error. Sometimes it will have an issue with a file it opened just fine before. It is also inconsistent between Macs. A file will open on one while throwing an error on the other. 

Has nothing to do with how the NAS is formatted. I can browse the NAS from PS. I can open JPEGs and other files in PS.

SMB share attributes as follows: 

SMB_NEGOTIATE                 SMBV_NEG_SMB1_ENABLED

SMB_NEGOTIATE                 SMBV_NEG_SMB2_ENABLED

SMB_NEGOTIATE                 SMBV_NEG_SMB3_ENABLED

SMB_VERSION                   SMB_3.1.1

SMB_ENCRYPT_ALGORITHMS        AES_128_CCM_ENABLED

SMB_ENCRYPT_ALGORITHMS        AES_128_GCM_ENABLED

SMB_ENCRYPT_ALGORITHMS        AES_256_CCM_ENABLED

SMB_ENCRYPT_ALGORITHMS        AES_256_GCM_ENABLED

SMB_CURR_ENCRYPT_ALGORITHM    OFF

SMB_SHARE_TYPE                DISK

SIGNING_SUPPORTED             TRUE

EXTENDED_SECURITY_SUPPORTED   TRUE

UNIX_SUPPORT                  TRUE

LARGE_FILE_SUPPORTED          TRUE

OS_X_SERVER                   TRUE

FILE_IDS_SUPPORTED            TRUE

DFS_SUPPORTED                 TRUE

FILE_LEASING_SUPPORTED        TRUE

MULTI_CREDIT_SUPPORTED        TRUE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What NAS and version, what network infrastructure, what macOS involved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TrueNAS 12.0-U7. and Synology DSM-6.2.4. It is intermittent. Some DNGs open. Others don't. It might open on one mac and not the other. And then the one that had a problem opening it before, won't have an issue. Both Macs are on Moneterey 12.1. Windows machines have no issues. Only applies to DNG files. Only applies to Photoshop. All other files open and operate as expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love an answer to this issue also. I'm running a QNAP TVS872XT NAS/DAS via thunderbolt. Access from all other adobe apps is fine, so photoshop is the only app with a problem. Not just DNG for me, also ARW and PSD. Running Monterey 12.3.1 on a MacStudio M1 Max. Photoshop 23.3.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop probably opens the biggest files compared to what the other programs do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Macos, but am having similar issues now as well.  Trying to Drag in a DNG from my Synology NAS to PS.  It is giving locked file errors or Disk Error...  PSD opens fine , the same way.  

Tried to check file permissions/unlock and also set entire folders on NAS to read/write for everyone.  Still same stuff.  Also doing permissons in Preferences/MacOS to allow PS/LR to make changes/etc.  

I can copy DNG to desktop and open just fine as others said.  Not end of world, but annoying...   I am creating the DNG from DXO Pure Raw, dragging Canon R5 CR3 into there from NAS, and saving out DNG to NAS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on latest MacOS / Cloud/LR/PS as of July 16, 2022.  

Kickflipkid687_1-1658010409194.png

Kickflipkid687_0-1658010387917.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have been having this issue for a long time, even with the latest version of Photoshop and MAC OS still never got it fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines