• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop won't recognize tablet pen pressure. Have tried everything. Help?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2013 Nov 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop suddenly stopped recognizing pen pressure from my tablet yetsterday.

I'm using a Wacom Bamboo Connect tablet on a Windows 8 computer with Photoshop CS6

I've tried:

1. uninstalling the drivers

2. checking wintab files were gone from system32 and sysWOW64

3. restarting

4. reinstalling drivers

5. checking new wintab files are present

6. restarting

I updated photoshop (and repeated those 5 steps), reinstalling the drivers as an admin, reset the paintbrush tool, but no matter what I do, when I go to the Shape Dynamics option in Photoshop, I get the triangle with the exclamation point telling me that I need a pressure sensitive tablet.

I've tried plugging the tablet in and then opening photoshop.

I've tried opening Photoshop and then plugging in the tablet.

I updated the drivers for all of the hardware on my computer.

I've tried the pressure sensitivity in two other (non Adobe) programs and it works there, so it doesn't seem like a problem with the tablet itself.

I've tried every solution I could find online but none of them seem to be working for me. Any advice?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

I'd just like to point out to everyone if you're having trouble, just insert your tablet into a different USB slot. I literally just changed my Wacom from the back of my tower to the front of my tower and suddenly the warning on pen pressure vanishes and it works fine.

It could be a case of your computer and photoshop just not communicating very well.

Another win to SAI.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS WORKED FOR ME!! OMG Thank you so much. I was going nuts trying to figure out what was causing Photoshop to suddenly stop recognizing pressure on my new Intuos Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this surprisingly helps thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's exactly what the problem was for me (Thank you!)...It was also causing Photoshop to not acknowledge when I flipped my pen over to use the eraser. So now that the windows ink is back on, pressure sensitivity and eraser are working...but of course the really annoying circle thing is back whenever I use my tablet to click elsewhere in Photoshop, like on menus and stuff. Does anyone know how to remove the circle action without turning off windows ink?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh my god! thank you so much!
I have been struggling with it for hours, and I did all sorts of things, and I did check and uncheck Windows ink, but it didn't change anything until I added Photoshop as a separate program to the wacom setting and Windows ink only for Photoshop, just as you say! Ah, marvelous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only works for a while. I use the Coolorus extension as my color picker and as soon as I pick a new color from it, the pressure sensitivity is gone. So Adobe definitely messed something up here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, I've encountered many possible fixes over several forums and tried all but none were actually still working in my particular case somehow. I now came up with a solution that seems to fix the case for me, the usual totally gone pressure sensitivity, finally after, without exaggerating, 24h+ own research needed. It was working fine up until a point at which it just magically stopped working despite pressure still being active even on online sites such as https://aggie.io  ; meanwhile seriously considered not using Photoshop anymore.

Experimental desperate solution so try on your own precaution 🙂

How come this was not yet suggest wonders me but maybe this problem appeard to be newly arrising as windows 10 is now cutting short on drivers due to their advancing win ink tryhard: incase win ink doesn't work and Wintab drivers are not even installed anymore and must therefore be supplied if- in any case- a customer wants to NOT use the windows ink version that is now apparently demanded to be used. 

So after noticing that I'll need to reinstall the driver as even the oldest wacom available intous pro driver does not install wintab apparently. I'm using ps cs6, that all sites are systematically taken down for it's support is a shame and another point where I will try to hold myself from loosing the line here, together with a new Wacom Intuos pro M (2017) , now I wouldn't have even come here to complain yet I then downloaded the new cc 21 version just to realize pressure sensitivity is not working here either (win ink on, all older drivers purged as suggested in 14. here https://machollywood.com/blogs/news/how-to-troubleshoot-uninstall-and-reinstall-wacom-drivers , wacom driver 6.3.41-1). 

I then searched internets last corner and quite soon found a reddit post suggesting a wintab download as I couldn't find a clean minimalistic version of it as N-trig (devs of wintab as far as I understood) seems to be off nowadays as well. Post of an still running microsoft mirror is already 5 years old but still worked like a charm for me: https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/3b7l3h/cant_get_ntrig_wintab_drivers_anywhere_other_pro/ or direct dl: https://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/7/2073C22F-2F31-4F4A-8059-E54C91C564A9/Wintab-1.0.0.18-6...

Now note that it won't directly work after Wintab installation- uninstall wacom driver (I did it after installing wintab ontop), do all reboots as it is probably usual routine for you already by now - then reinstall whatever wacom driver suits you best (in my case 6.3.41-1 works). We will then turn off Windows Ink, as usual, start photoshop and see if it worked by creating a new document and trying the pencil (as sometimes the error triangle just pops away after moving pen close enough into tablet reach so PS can recognize the pencil in current session). 

Now I did another little adjustment incase it still doesn't work for you (regarding the custom PSUserConfig.txt- it was not necessary incase of cs6 but guess for cc it could be incase you try this fix) then try deleting user prefs in appdata/roaming/adobe/adobe Photoshop [your version]; (note that this will delete all your user prefs as expected, so might as well cut them into another folder for the test of it)- so photoshop will create new defaults on launch. (win+r   then enter %appdata% to shortcut to the roaming folder)

So comming back to it I'm really baffled to see that none of the new arrising suggestions that fix anything came from actual official staff, most likely as it's completly uninteresting to even support older legacy drivers despite the obviously striking high demand in community.  I hope this approach can save someone from spending as much time as I did though I really have no clue what exactly happend there - as the win ink fix (turn off click and hold feature is gone in my windows version by now - now called pen & windows ink settings shows different options)- so I really would even like to give you further information on the process that was causing the problem but it completly does not make any sense to me besides that cs6 wouldn't have the up to date support that cc enjoys- however the error was same there (cc21) even after a reboot so really no clue what could have caused this despite maybe incompatibility with other software ~ such as logitechs G drivers or anything hypothetical as such.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still helpful many years later! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, this fixed it for me. Eight years since the original post and still the same problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried all of the solutions here.  Still when I look at something like Shape Dynamics I have the little triangle error that says I need a pressure sensitive tablet. I have an Intuos 3 that works fine with everything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd just like to point out to everyone if you're having trouble, just insert your tablet into a different USB slot. I literally just changed my Wacom from the back of my tower to the front of my tower and suddenly the warning on pen pressure vanishes and it works fine.

It could be a case of your computer and photoshop just not communicating very well.

Another win to SAI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lmao, i did the same as you said and it fixed xD

i am so lucky i had checked and came across yours!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2015 Nov 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. I resolved by going on image > method > 32bit/channel (RGB)

For me it worked! Hope someone could find my answer helping!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this is an old thread, but I had the same problem, this worked for me!

8>32 bits then, the warning on pressure disappeared, then back to 8 bits and still got pressure enabled!

wonderful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2017 Jul 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!

This is the ONLY peice of advice that has ever worked for me! Years of frustration!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I didn't even change it to 32 bit as it's greyed out on mine, but I changed it from 8 bit to 16 bit and it instantly started working! For anyone who doesn't have "method" in PS it's also known as Image<Mode<16bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2015 Nov 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received the error message of an '!' when trying to select pen pressure in the brush adjustment.

The other advice didn't work.

It turns out the Wacom driver didn't load correctly.

So, restart the device driver (restart the service)

(Here is a link on how to do this:)

Fix your Wacom Drivers WITHOUT restarting! [Win] Update! | Blog @ GameTextures

Then be sure to restart Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, same problem with pressure sensibility bit it actually happened after a wacom driver changed.

That method you mention (Restarting  the service) allowed me to discover there must be some sort of driver issue.

When i restart the service.. the pressure work in photoshop, but the wacom utility doesn't recognize the tablet anymore, meaning i can't do the right click on windows etc..

If i restart the window cession, it works again, the wacom driver recognize the tablet, but then photoshop doesn't recognize it again..

What should i do..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2016 May 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I'm a few months late on the last reply (a few years on the original post!), but I'm having a very similar problem and cannot seem to fix it with any of the above solutions. I do not have a Wacom tablet, but instead I have a Huion 1060 Pro tablet, which may lend itself to my inability to use the previous solutions. I don't have the option in the driver menu to check/uncheck a box for "Use Window Ink", and unplugging/replugging into a different USB slot didn't help. If anyone has dealt with a pressure sensitivity problem in photoshop (I'm using photoshop CC) with a Huion tablet, or can suggest alternate solutions they foudn with their own tablets, I would be super grateful!

I'm using a Huion 1060Pro, Windows 10, Surface Pro 3, Photoshop CC.

Cheers Guys x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2016 May 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After hours of trolling through forums and trying different solutions this morning, I found that the Huion solution to this problem is:

In the driver menu, tick the box labelled, "Support TabletPC"

Yay, back to drawing!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, computer/tablet noob here.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I have no idea where "Support TabletPC" is. Isn't the driver menu the icon that shows up on your taskbar while your tablet is plugged in? If not, I have no clue where to find it. I'm also working with a Huion tablet as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2016 Aug 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok for Cintiq Users you can add applications for Windows Ink (even I don't use it on my other machine, maybe this is due to the Bootcamp drivers) So simply turn Windows Ink on for Photoshop only and leave it unchecked in 'All Other'
Visit this link for clarification: ConceptArt.org: Art Forums

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys! I know this is an older post but I recently got an Ugee M1000L and I have tried every fix I'm able to in this thread and still can not manage to get the pen pressure to work in photoshop. The pen pressure seems to work just fine in my sketch pad app. Sooo frustrated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

geneandsara wrote:

Hey guys! I know this is an older post but I recently got an Ugee M1000L and I have tried every fix I'm able to in this thread and still can not manage to get the pen pressure to work in photoshop. The pen pressure seems to work just fine in my sketch pad app. Sooo frustrated!

Have you worked through the points on this page?  What operating system are you using?

Tablet support for Photoshop on Windows 8

You'd be better stating a new thread as this is already marked as having a correct answer, which means most people are going to ignore it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines