• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop won't save over a file, but instead saves a copy no matter what.

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop 20.0.8 on a Mac, and just updated to Catalina a week or two ago (was a bit behind on this update as I had been putting it off so long).

When I go to save over an old jpeg for example, and it asks me if I want to replace the old one, and I say yes, it still saves as a copy file instead. This is pretty frustrating w/ my workflow.

This is exactly why I had been putting off updating to Catalina for so long, because I thought something small and buggy like this might come along and frustrate me. I found an older thread with a similar concern (https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-21-0-0-won-t-save-over-previous-file-it-creates-a...) which doesn't seem to have been resolved other than "it's probably Catalina".

Does anyone have any real tips or experience with this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I have to bump this up again.

Do Adobe staff check these forums? Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is still persisting. Does anyone else have it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These user-to-user forums are rarely if ever visited by Adobe product engineers. See this link for known issues in Catalina.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html#Knowncompatibilityissues

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy, thanks for your response!

I believe that issue you linked above is sort of the opposite of what I mean. I don't want to save "as a copy", but my computer insists on doing so, when I'm trying to save over a file. I had checked the known issues a while back as I've been dealing with this for a bit, but didn't find my specific issue. What's the best way to bring this bug to Adobe's attention?

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! I've been having this issue as well and it's driving me nuts. It's only happening with JPEG for me. Was really hoping it'd be fixed in one of these last updates, but there seem to be more glitches than ever with the last CC and Catalina updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, the issue still persists for me as well. I find it pretty ridiculous that this being a semi-known issue for many months now there hasn't been a fix for it. Every update between mac/PS brings new glitches. I have been trying to use Photoshop 2020 for several weeks now but I can't deal with the bugs, I had to go back to 2019. Still getting this copy issue though of course. Every update feels like playing the lotto now lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I came here to report exactly this problem, among others.
Save as JPEG -> File exists. Would you like to replace it? -> YES -> Saves a copy anyway. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines