Photoshop workspace has subtle screen flickering on Dell XPS 17 with I7-10875H and RTX 2060 Max-Q

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, dear community.

I've been dealing with an issue that quite annoying every time I used Photoshop for retouching, the workspace has subtle but noticeable screen flickering. I did try to record a video that could identify the flickering but it's easier to see with bare eyes. That made me distracted a lot so I search over the internet forums from Dell's to the Nvidia community and try to fix that but nothing help. There're several users who also have the same experience from other laptop brands that used RTX 2060 Max-Q GPU even for years but have no update to fix the issue. Everything I can do now is to choose a workaround solution that only selects Intel UHD  which comes with the CPU to handle all the works and that's such a waste. It not only took more DDR4 but also decreased the processing capability of the device. And it's come to vary results base on CPU power.

I wrote this post cause not so sure who will take a look over the issue, Dell, Nvidia, or Adobe but it's quite frustrating when you can not do anything more than try to get their attention at the problem and push something out to fix it.

Hope anyone who has the same experience can back up this post.

Thank you and best regard.

TOPICS
Bug, Feature request, Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing in Photoshop that can control screen brightness in any way. You have to look in the laptop's settings and the video driver.

It should be possible to disable the Intel and use the RTX only. You'll probably need to do that in any case. GPU switching is guaranteed to cause crashes and problems in Photoshop. It uses the GPU for actual data processing, and the result returned to Photoshop for further processing. You can't send data to one GPU and get it back from the other.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the suggested solutions I could find led to nothing. Laptop bios do support discrete GPU controllers but only for ports, not the display. The newly Nvidia driver does not support OEM GPU for laptop manufacturers. The latest firmware or driver for RTX 2060 Max-Q from Dell is useless to resolve the issue. Clean reinstall the windows OS to make sure there will not have any conflict but help for nothing. I did write a couple of post in their community to raise awareness but the only thing can do for now is waiting for more users backing up the problem.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines