Photoshops keeps freezing and restarting iMac (no message saying the cause)

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this issue for years back and reading about all the related problems in this community to see if I can solve the problem without any luck. 

I work on my computer for hours, but just when I open and use Photoshop for around 5 minutes, the computer freezes and restarts by itself, just using Photoshop, no other software. 

I've been monitoring this problem, reading posts on this community for users with this same issue, and there's no official solution to this.

I'm using iMac late 2015, OS Catalina, and the latest adobe software.

Need help! 

TOPICS
Bug, Crash or freeze, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshops keeps freezing and restarting iMac (no message saying the cause)

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this issue for years back and reading about all the related problems in this community to see if I can solve the problem without any luck. 

I work on my computer for hours, but just when I open and use Photoshop for around 5 minutes, the computer freezes and restarts by itself, just using Photoshop, no other software. 

I've been monitoring this problem, reading posts on this community for users with this same issue, and there's no official solution to this.

I'm using iMac late 2015, OS Catalina, and the latest adobe software.

Need help! 

TOPICS
Bug, Crash or freeze, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 07, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop cannot freeze/crash the OS – period. 

So the problem could be faulty hardware like RAM or a low-level driver or who-knows-what … 

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for more timely and effective answers”):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/community-how-to-guide-tips-amp-best-practices/td...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem.  I'm using Big Sur 11.1 on a Mac 27" desktop.  When I have my external devices (monitor, hard drive) in use at the same time, I cannot have Photoshop or Illustrator open. The Mac will freeze, then shut down/restart.  Premiere, Bridge, After Effects, Media Encoder works fine while the external devices are in use.  So I don't know who to blame for the crashes.  I've talked to Apple multiple times. Still troubleshooting.  SN: I've had this Mac for a month now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I mentioned: If the OS freezes it’s not Photoshop that causes that. Could be faulty RAM, a driver, …

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2020 0