• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photosop eats all memory and freezes the system

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing the recent windows update 13.04.2021 photoshop when launched starts to fill all RAM memory to 100% and freezes the system until I hit Reboot. If I try to close Photoshop before it hits 100% memory usage it says to wait until Photoshop finishes synchronizing styles and then freezes again if I don't kill with task manager.

Try different versions, reinstalling, killed windows update, changed memory limit (it ignores it) - nothing helps. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Photoshop and OS?

How much RAM and spare disk capacity do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it still happen if you disable Preset Syncing in Preferences > General (you will need to close and restart Photoshop after changing the setting)?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem.

I have a new pc. Windows 10 Pro is freshly installed.

All Creative Cloud apps, as well as all other apps, work fine - except Photoshop 2021.

Everything is freshly installed, no AddOns, no PlugIns.

When I launch Photoshop, the memory immediately starts filling up. First the 32 GB, then the virtual memory, until after a short time the PC hangs or crashes.

When trying to close Photoshop normally by clicking on the X, this message comes up (translated): "synchronization of presets is in progress. when synchronization is complete, photoshop will exit."

Before the "synchronization" (whatever that is...) completes, the system crashes as the memory fills up completely or to infinity.

My cloud documents are empty. I use 0 out of 100 GB. Yet, after installation, an initialie sync in the Creative Cloud app took several hours and uploaded data at 10 mbit/s for hours - whatever and wherever....

All drivers are up to date. Of course, also the graphics card (3070).

It makes no difference how much memory I allocate to Photoshop in the settings. I cannot exit Photoshop properly. The only way to avert the crash is to quit Photoshop via task manager in time.

I have tried everything humanly possible. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop several times. I have uninstalled the entire Creative Cloud and cleaned up after it using CleanerTool. After reinstalling exactly the same problem.

I installed the older 21.2.7 version once as a test. This seems to work. After updating to the current 22.3.1, the problem occurs again.

When I log out of my Adobe account in Photoshop or Creative Cloud, I can't use Photoshop anymore, but I can launch it, see the login hint, but Photoshop doesn't eat up memory anymore. As soon as I log back in, Photoshop starts up again and then eventually crashes the system or becomes unstable.

All other Adobe programs work fine.

What else can I do? I am quite desperate by now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"What else can I do? I am quite desperate by now."

As per the last reply, does it still happen if you disable Preset Syncing in Preferences > General (you will need to close and restart Photoshop after changing the setting)?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response, Dave.

Unfortunately, I can't save any changes to the settings because I can't exit Photoshop properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

1. Create a text file containing the line

PresetSync 0

2. Save that text file as PSUserConfig.txt in folder

C: Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings

3. Start Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to try it, but unfortunately I can't save because Photoshop won't exit properly.

As far as I just found out, the settings are saved in "Adobe Photoshop 2021 Prefs.psp" (C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings).

Could you maybe turn off this option in your Photoshop in advance, then quit Photoshop and provide me with this file? I could then paste it to me and maybe the option here is then already turned off when Photoshop starts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sending you my preference file would do no good as the psp file contains more than just the user settings , but settings specific to my system. Try the PSUserConfig.sys file I mentioned above.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh my god, Dave, thank you so much!

Sorry, I had overlooked your previous post. I just tried it and it works! Many, many thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines