Highlighted

Photshop CC tools stop working

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Photoshop CC tools randomly stop working. They seem to cutout and it happens constantly. Its very annoying. This only seems to happen with photoshop. I'm most often using the BRUSH or the LASSO. They just cut out. The only remedy I've found is to add a new layer and use the tool until it becomes responsive again, which. take a bout 15-20 seconds. I don't think it's a hardware issue as I'm running a brand new 27" Imac with 32 GB of RAM.

Any idea whats going on?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photshop CC tools stop working

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Photoshop CC tools randomly stop working. They seem to cutout and it happens constantly. Its very annoying. This only seems to happen with photoshop. I'm most often using the BRUSH or the LASSO. They just cut out. The only remedy I've found is to add a new layer and use the tool until it becomes responsive again, which. take a bout 15-20 seconds. I don't think it's a hardware issue as I'm running a brand new 27" Imac with 32 GB of RAM.

Any idea whats going on?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far?

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

What are your Performance Preferences settings?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried restoring preferences, but no change. As for Performance preferences, I had them on default, (memory usage; 70%, Cache; 4,) but also tired changing memory usage to (85%) and increased Cache Levels to 8. Unfortunately the problem persists. Any other suggestions I can try? Thanks for you time and efforts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use a tablet can you try disconnecting it to see if it also afflicts the mouse or trackpad?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue too — for me it happens when I switch from photoshop to pull up finder or the internet.

it helps to open a new file then the tools there work and in turn work on the original, but I haven’t figured out a way to fix them besides that 😕

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did all of the above and still happens, will switch to a cusor prior, no tool selection works, no keyboard shortcode works, etc. just stays on the cursor until photoshop is restarted. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 user here (new Intel Nuk) This same problem started happening. Everything is working fine & suddenly the hand tool just stops working mid-drag using keyboard shortcuts (Spacebar & B), then the rest of the tools don't work, even when I select them from the panel with my mouse and try to use that way- the cursor stays a white pointer and does not swap to the correct tooltip nor do the tools work. 
The program is still considered 'responsive' and it is not frozen, as I'm still able to save and quit.

I dont understand why BASIC functionality is such an ongoing issue. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines