Highlighted

Pixel roundoff issue when using Paste in Place command

Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm doing what should be a simple task - I'm selecting the shadow of an object to separate it from the object so I can edit the two elements separately and make a nice looking document-friendly picture. For some odd reason, when I cut the selection and use Ctrl+Shift+V to use "paste in place", it seems to paste the selection with a roundoff error, leaving a 1 pixel gap between the shadow and the object. See below the issue (background color is white).

How to solve this?!

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by JJMack | Most Valuable Participant

When you made the selection how did you make the selection.  I believe Photoshop may have use some anti-aliasing or feathering for the selection. That may be way you are seeing around the selection. The cut feathering  plus the paste feathering did not add up to 100%  so you see transparency. The pixel in that ares opacity did not add up toe 100% opacity or fill.  Most likely as you wrote rounding. Sill I feel the rounding is caused because of the feathering or Anti  aliasing that Photoshop is doing. If the selection was cut and dry Pixels would be on or off no blending not mixing.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Pixel roundoff issue when using Paste in Place command

Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm doing what should be a simple task - I'm selecting the shadow of an object to separate it from the object so I can edit the two elements separately and make a nice looking document-friendly picture. For some odd reason, when I cut the selection and use Ctrl+Shift+V to use "paste in place", it seems to paste the selection with a roundoff error, leaving a 1 pixel gap between the shadow and the object. See below the issue (background color is white).

How to solve this?!

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by JJMack | Most Valuable Participant

When you made the selection how did you make the selection.  I believe Photoshop may have use some anti-aliasing or feathering for the selection. That may be way you are seeing around the selection. The cut feathering  plus the paste feathering did not add up to 100%  so you see transparency. The pixel in that ares opacity did not add up toe 100% opacity or fill.  Most likely as you wrote rounding. Sill I feel the rounding is caused because of the feathering or Anti  aliasing that Photoshop is doing. If the selection was cut and dry Pixels would be on or off no blending not mixing.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 16, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Now that you brought that up, you were correct. The Feathering was 0px, but Anti-Aliasing was on. That was the issue. 

Turning anti-aliasing off when using the Lasso tool solves the roundoff issue.

Thanks for the help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2020 0