• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pixelation when cropping

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am still pretty new to photoshop. 

But I have a problem regarding the crop tool. I have a picture that I want to crop to 9.5 x 9.5 cm from a larger format, but when I crop it the image because extremely pixelated. I have some screenshots to show my problem. This hasn't happened before but started happening this morning when I updated my Photoshop to the most recent version.

The first screenshot is the original image, which is at 300 ppi. The second screenshot is the crop to 9.5 x 9.5 and the 3rd one is what I get from the crop. The resolution is the same and in theory it should work, but I don't know if this is a bug, if I'm doing something wrong or if it simply isn't the right way to do it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

"I want to crop to 9.5 x 9.5 cm"

Hi 

You have the options set to 9.5 px x 9.5 px. Type "9.5 cm" for each and see if that works.

~ Jane

1B5CCE6F-9A95-470B-BDEF-8D77DE2ADBBE.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are most likely  having the crop tool scale the crop up in size. Resampling an image will reduce the image quality. If you scale the crop up in size a lot interpolation will normally soften the image creating new details for the image replacement.   

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I want to crop to 9.5 x 9.5 cm"

Hi 

You have the options set to 9.5 px x 9.5 px. Type "9.5 cm" for each and see if that works.

~ Jane

1B5CCE6F-9A95-470B-BDEF-8D77DE2ADBBE.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Thank you so much for the fast replies. Thank you for pointing out that I had cropped it to 9.5 pixels and not cm. I'm not the brightest 🙂

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, and I'm glad it's working now. 😊

This is an easy mistake to make, and we've probably all done it at least once. Even if your measurements are in cm (or in), Photoshop will use px here unless you actually type in "cm". Your third screenshot shows an image that is 10px x 10px, zoomed fairly high.

0FA4458B-94B4-44CD-9FEE-100494A40613.jpeg

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines