Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'Place Along Path' Script Not Working CC 19.1.6

Participant ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've created a pen path, and the selected 'Fill Path' and ticked 'Place Along Path' from the popup menu. I can see and edit all the parameters, but there are various issues:

+ script does not apply the image along the path, but only on the interior of the closed pen shape - so each instance is cropped by the path. Altering the distance from path only crops out more of my image. 

+ 'Reset' button does not change any value

+ opening the Fill Path dialog again shows 'Place Along Path' checkbox ticked, but then fills the whole pen shape as a pattern fill unless I untick and re-tick.

Im using a Mac running High Sierra 10.13.6 with Retina display. 

Where can I get a new working version of this script.

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Hi

There are two ways of doing this.

I get the same as you if I right click the path and use Fill Path it places inside the path only

However if I just use Shift F5 and choose Fill Pattern - Place Along path it works correctly as shown by JJMack

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post some screenshots illustrating the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.jpg2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you include your layers Palette in your screen capture so we can see your layer structure and what layer is being pattern filled It look like it may not be your top layer. An upper layer or a Layer mask may be hiding part of your pattern fill.  Here is a patten fill add to the single background layer. CC 2018 19.1.6

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - Thanks for your reply -The same thing occurs in a brand new document, with only one layer - no layer masks are active. Only one vector work path created by the path tool - please see attached.

It was worked in the past, so not sure why it's stopped now. 3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One my Windows Workstation I don't see that problem.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hang on I just tried to use your settings and could not.  The Dialog would no accept 300 pxels the windows script stated a value between -53 an 153 is required?? How big is your pattern, my pattern is 51px by 51px...

I see this in the beginning of the script

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

There are two ways of doing this.

I get the same as you if I right click the path and use Fill Path it places inside the path only

However if I just use Shift F5 and choose Fill Pattern - Place Along path it works correctly as shown by JJMack

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use menu Edit>Fill or Shift+F5 on windows.    Using Fill Path from the Paths Palette  Open a different Fill Path Dialog the  the Fill Dialog the  Open  from Edit Fill.  The Fill  Dialog look nearly the same and Open the same Place along Path script.  But seem to produce the two results shown in this thread.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank very much guys!!! This was indeed the answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

I'll raise a bug report as, to me, the Fill Path behaviour looks like a bug. At least you have an easy work around.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave - it would be neater to have this functionality working as I originally tried, although great to still have this functionality.

Also another two bugs on that same menu:

+ 'Reset' button does not change any value

+ opening the Fill Path dialog again shows 'Place Along Path' checkbox ticked, but then fills the whole pen shape as a pattern fill unless I untick and re-tick.

Hope this helps!

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About the Fill dialog Reset Button. If you use the reset button it should reset the dialog values to the default values.  If cancel out of the dialog the reset settings will not be save for the dialog.  If you use these reset setting or change the setting in dialog the setting and use these dialog values they will be saved for the dialog for the next time the dialog is used. If you cancel out of the dialog the last saved setting will not be changed to what is currently in the dialog for you did not use them them.  The same will be true if you reset the Place along  Path dialog and you cancel out of it, The setting in the dialog will not be saved for the were not used.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - It's definitely very buggy for me. I just tried on a blank document before writing this reply. If I choose the fill path from the pen menu ,change all the values, then hit the rest button, nothing changed. I stroked the path using the fill path script several times, and then tried creating a subpath, but then the script failed to open the fill path dialog (even though the checkbox was ticked) and didn't stroke anything.

Hope this helps. I've got my workaround for the time being.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I got lost reading you append.  Where in Photoshop UI is the pen menu with a fill Path menu item? Was there a layer targeted when you clicked on fill path?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines