• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Place as Linked Vector smart object not working for Creative Cloud Documents

Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i just restarted a print project efter a year working for a client in mostly XD, and found the Photoshop and Illustrator uppdated with the new Cloud Documents storing and a new file format (AIC and PSDC) for that. Great, lets use it and have access to all the files on all platforms, and a version history and such.

But, i allways use both Illustrator and Photoshop together. Make design, like business cards for print, in Illustrator, or a t-shirt design. And to help the client understand the koncept and proportions i make a Photoshop montage of a person holding a busines card or wearing a tshirt.

In the past, i just draged the illustrator file over to photoshop and got a vector smart object. So when i uppdated the design on the card in Illustrator, i just refreshed the Photoshp file and the new design was in there.

EDIT: I described this wrong. What i meant wasnt "drag and drop" but "Files > Place Linked".

How do i acheive this with the new cloud files. Both the photoshop and the Illustrator file is in Cloud Documents, and and i cant drag/drop "Place Linked" from Cloud Docs, and i cant even se the illustrator file to even open it i Photoshop, let alone "Place" it.

With localy stored files you can cross open both Illustrator and Photoshop files in both Illustrator and Photoshop. Sometimes i "Place" a photoshop file in Illustrator, most of the times i "Place" an Illustrator file in Photoshop.

Right now it looks like i have to go back to storing all files localy (even if i can save them in the loca "Crative Cloud Files" folder, its not actual "Cloud Files", AIC and PSDC).

And on that note, its geting complicated to keep track of the "Cloud files". You have a local folder caled "Creative Cloud Files" but thats not the same as the "Cloud Documents" in the Creative Cloud Desktop app. And they are not synked at all. But i will adress this in a separate thread.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a follow up i just got this when i tried to place a linked Illustrator file on a PSDC document. So i guess im going back to storing all Illustrator and PSD files localy again.

jensklang_0-1597653400070.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure drag and drop was creating Linked smart objects not  embedded smart object.  Embedded smart objects are independent the do not updated  the original file is updated for  there is a copy of the original file in the embedded object.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@JJMack you are correct. I described it wrong. A drag and drop file becomes embeded, but can be convertet to linked. What i usaly do is "File > Placed Linked". And that can't be done with Cloud Documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines