• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

placed, linked images shift position when link is updated...

Engaged ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I place package comps created in AI in a PS image of the store shelves. I'm having an issue with my placed, linked AI files shifting. It happens even before the linked files are updated, actually, but it does the same thing after the linked files are updated. (The mask is applied because sometimes there is more than one package on the AI artboard.)

Here's what happens: When I resize a placed and linked AI file that has a layer mask, the layer doesn't line up with the mask after it's resized. I've tried a couple of different crops when importing. The Bounding Box crop is more predictable than the Media Box... but the bottom line is that regardless of which crop I use, when I update the linked doc and go back into PS, I have to unlink the masks and manually reposition the layers to get everything to align. I am sure this is not an efficient way to use this feature...  and that I'm not ticking or clicking the right boxes here. Being an InDe user doesn't help, because obviously PS behaves differently. What am I missing? 

I've attached a couple screen shots that might help explain... 

And if there's a better way to do this, please point me to the tutorial! We are constantly iterating concepts in one way or another, and then have to pull them into a presentation doc to share with the clients. The package designs are shown in the presentation by themselves and on-shelf, so the idea is to use only one doc to make the designs and then place the one doc into both the presentation file and the shelf image PS file so that the changes get updated in both places. (personally I would do the presentation in InDe, but this is the process we are supposed to follow... )

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is because the bounding box (dimensions) of your smart object is changing as you make revisions. Create a rectangle of fill & stroke set to none, that is slightly large than your graphic will ever be.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what I would expect, if the dimensions of the placed item were actually changing. BUT, it happens with the original placement. So strange! I know it doesn't work as flawlessly in PS as it does in InDe and AI, but it does work, so I want to figure it out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, it happens whether I make the mask before or after the resizing.

Oh. wait. Smart object? I am not making a smart object, just linking it to the file... like I would with AI or InDe. 

So that's it then, probably. I will give that a try. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Smart object did the same thing, except that I had to click into it, which just added an additional step. 

I can't imagine it's this hard... I will keep trying...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines