• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placing an image over a certain section of the canvas?

Contributor ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I learned this in a class last year, and I cannot for the life of me remember the term for it. For example, if I wanted to make a rock, with a rocklike texture, aside from hand painting it, an option would be to find a rocky "texture" online, paint a black blob in the shape of the rock on its own layer, and then I somehow could place that texture only onto the object, and move it around to where I wanted it.

What's the name of the technique? Could somebody explain a quick way to do this in photoshop?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

It sounds like you may have used a clipping mask to show an upper layer only where there were solid pixels on the lower layer.

Create a new layer

Paint your shape on that layer.

Add your texture to the layer above.

Alt-Click (Opt +Click on Mac) on the border between the two layers , in the layers panel. A small downward arrow will appear in the layers panel and the upper layer will now only be visible where you painted on the lower layer

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you may have used a clipping mask to show an upper layer only where there were solid pixels on the lower layer.

Create a new layer

Paint your shape on that layer.

Add your texture to the layer above.

Alt-Click (Opt +Click on Mac) on the border between the two layers , in the layers panel. A small downward arrow will appear in the layers panel and the upper layer will now only be visible where you painted on the lower layer

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yes that is called masking you can do it by doing atl click between 2 layers and above layer will apply over the below layers then do what you want on above layer.

thank you

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines