Highlighted

Placing multiple Images/Symbols in a set order hundreds of times

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have objects that I've created that have multiple colors that I want to lay on my background quickly. My current workflow is grab 10-20 layers of these objects at a time, reseize, and then move them to each location, control + clicking each one on the way to deselect it once it's in the correct spot. I do this Hundreds of times on each project.

What I'm looking for is the ability to lay these multicolored objects like brush clicks. I have explored the Mixer Brush which does exactly what I want aside from using the same image/symbol over and over. I'd like it to cycle through different images. Sort of an image brush that cycles through images in a set library.

I appreciate all suggestions. Thank you.

Below is an example gif of my current process that I'd like to streamline. (not actual project)

https://i.gyazo.com/0a3569312cc059ce60d770aef3429779.gif

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Placing multiple Images/Symbols in a set order hundreds of times

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have objects that I've created that have multiple colors that I want to lay on my background quickly. My current workflow is grab 10-20 layers of these objects at a time, reseize, and then move them to each location, control + clicking each one on the way to deselect it once it's in the correct spot. I do this Hundreds of times on each project.

What I'm looking for is the ability to lay these multicolored objects like brush clicks. I have explored the Mixer Brush which does exactly what I want aside from using the same image/symbol over and over. I'd like it to cycle through different images. Sort of an image brush that cycles through images in a set library.

I appreciate all suggestions. Thank you.

Below is an example gif of my current process that I'd like to streamline. (not actual project)

https://i.gyazo.com/0a3569312cc059ce60d770aef3429779.gif

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 18, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably want to either record an action or write a script to place these images. You may need to do some housekeeping if you use a script, for example, sequential filenames are easy to handle (image_001A, image_001B, image_002A, etc.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 18, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've thought about scripts but every project is different. Like placing trees at different locations. Same tree library, different tree locations. Each tree needs to be placed accurately. I'm not sure a script work in that way. Unless you're thinking of a different use for a script that might change the mixer brush each time you use it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 18, 2019 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If each object is an image file a script could place them into a large canvas size document.  In the process it would Size and position them  using logic to implement  a process you design to layout your image they way you want them. 

A simple example of a script like that is My PlasteImageRoll script the will tile any number in image onto a canvas.  Image can be and size. Each image will be scaled toe fill the tile size. Excess image area will be masked off.  Tiles images will look like centered aspect ration image crops.

Paste Image Roll Info

Paste Image Roll Script

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 18, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After looking at your script page I don’t believe that’s what I’m looking for. The trees I need to place are all different shapes And need to be placed where trees go on a map built from Ariel imagery.

They can’t be placed in a grid Pattern or even a random pattern. i Have ten trees that I place in order over and over until I’ve placed one where each tree is on the map.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 18, 2019 0
Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jared,

If you are doing this in Photoshop, put one tree on a layer. Cmd + J will duplicate the layer (Ctrl + J on Windows). Then move each tree to the correct place.

Most people do maps in Illustrator. There you would make a symbol out of one tree and drag a symbol of the tree to each spot.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 18, 2019 0
Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I wrote you would need to design a process that would lay out your image files the way you want them laid out then code a script to implement your process.

My script is just a simple example as  to how a script can place or paste in images that it can then resize position and masks to some layout design. My layout is just a simple fixed single tile size layout rows and columns that is fitted to some document width and length.  The length will be reduces if to few image files are selected.  If you select too many image files the script will not tile any images you will just get a message to select fewer file or  increase the max paper length.  However 100' is the maximum allow length.  My Epson printer max print length is 54',  I could not print a full  100' layout the script can create..

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 18, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would work but each tree is different. we need to cycle between each tree rather than just duplicating the same one over and over.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After doing more research, the tool I am looking for exists in Coral Painter. It's called Image Hose. The brushes you create for the tool are called Nozels.

With image hose, you can create a document that has multiple images inside of it on different layers and Image hose tool will place them similar to a paintbrush in photoshop.

Is there any way of creating custom tools in photoshop as people have in illustrator? Similar to how Astute Graphics makes tools.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all the projects are different  and all your image you want place in are the same you can assist population the images but they would need to be sized and positioned for each project.  That can not be automated for each project is unique.  On the other hand if you have sets of images that need to be populated into different projects you could create Projects Mockups  and automate the population of projects mockups.  The number of image in each set need to be the same to populate a mock.  

Recently there was a thread here where a user had one set of images 41 labels that needed to be populated into 84 Projects. To create 3,444 populated mockups jpg files.  If there were also back side labels there would have have to be 2 set of 41 labels.  Mockup Templates would be populated with two images in each.  

All your appends seems to want something to help you do things manually.   Is that want you want or do you want an automated Process. A process you do repeatedly.  Not all unique processes.

Re: Running a script within an action

Transformation of smart object

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images are not the same. If we wanted to place all of the same images we could use the mixer brush in photoshop.

The problem is the mixer brush doesn't swap between images.

Every project we do is unique. None of them overlap. It would be similar to placing trees in a park, then another park that has a completely different layout, then another park that has a building in the middle with trees only on one side of it and so on.

None of our projects can be batched because no two areas are the same.

Example of how Image Hose works in Coral Paint. This would be perfect.

ba6015bd5c24999e1302b4db2b4b769b.gif

https://i.gyazo.com/ba6015bd5c24999e1302b4db2b4b769b.gif

If you notice, the trees are not all the same. They are being pulled from a file with different trees.

They need to be placed where trees are. Not randomly populated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One could simulate something like this by »usurping« a tool one does not usually use a lot with Script Events Manager, like the Count Tool for example.

full colour brush dabbing simulation script

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To automate this, you need an algorithm. When doing it manually, how do you determine that tree A goes on point X, tree B goes on point Y, and so on? I'm not seeing any explanation.

Once we get that decision logic, a script can (possibly) be created.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no set place for Trees A through C. Locations X-Z are just where trees actually are on the map. Any trees can be placed in any location essentially. They just need to be able to be placed where trees are. and placing trees in larger clumps can take time. 

This is how trees are placed now.

747c117500005cd8dc4b08df29287dce.gif

This is how I'd like to be able to do it. Cycling through the trees randomly would work. But the tool below also allows you to change your brush size which then changes the tree size.

ba6015bd5c24999e1302b4db2b4b769b.gif

With this you can drag for multiple trees or single click for just one.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm surprised one can't do this outright in Photoshop. I know Ambient Designs' ArtRage can do this with some degree. You can sequence the order precisely, but each release resets the sequence back to the beginning. (e.g. If you have a numbered sticker sheet from 1 to 10 and start clicking and dragging, it'll start painting from 1 and then go to your desired number (say, 6 or 7). After releasing, it'll reset back to 1.)

It can be randomized with each click but not strictly sequenced. Also, ArtRage uses sticker sheets themselves as a tool. You can simply "peel" the sticker off and place it as appropriate. (That would create lots and lots of layers, however; ArtRage treats each sticker as such when placing.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To do what you want  you need to duplicate the layer or layers  and move the new layers  what you show  is  you are moving layer. That will not increase the number of trees.

You could create sampled brush tree tips that scatter trees as you brush and control with your pen. Change brush to change tree type color etc.  Photoshop brush engine has many features,

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I wish Photoshop had this same tool (Image Hose) as Coral Painter has. That would be a PERFECT solution for me.

Mixer brush is close but not quite there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The number of layers isn't an issue. I would be happy to have all the trees on one layer in the end. The 2 examples I show above with trees are:

1. The current way I place trees

- Drag in 8 different trees at a time on separate layers placing each where an actual tree is located.

2. The tool I'd like in photoshop (Coral Painter's Image Hose)

- Where it works like a brush but places full-color trees rather than a single color brush.

- It also changes to different trees as you drag the brush as well as when you single click.

- You are also able to change the size of the brush so that the tree sizes change with the brush size.

This is Coral Painter's "Image Hose" tool in action. it does exactly what I'm looking for in Photoshop.

7c044b05af442890c206a8cf61716487.gif

The closest thing I can find is the mixer brush in Photoshop.

Here is a link to a video of what I'm looking for.

image hose brush 2. - Tutorial - corel painter x - YouTube

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still not clear on how you decide where to click or which tree goes where.

But, if you click with the count tool on each point where you want Tree A, you could run a script to paste Tree A on each counted location.

var clickPos = app.activeDocument.countItems[0].position;

clickPos will be an array. clickPos[0] is horizontal position, clickPos[1] is vertical.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would ideally click the brush where I want one random tree placed.

and Dragging would place multiple trees to populate a dense forest area.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't Corel Painter open/save PSDs? I thought it did. I know ArtRage can. You could just use both together in a workflow if you're feeling desperate. 

It's kind of like how I like to use ArtRage to give my comps texture. I know I can "sort of" do it in Photoshop but ArtRage gives the 3D "grit" I need to complete what I had in mind.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are may brush controls scater colors jitter sizes jitter dual tips you most likely come close to what you want to do. I'm not a painter see if Kyle has any brushes that work the want you want to brushes on things.  I would stay away from mixer butshes.  It should not hard to hose out thing like trees.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coral Painter does do PSDs and I am seriously considering using it for just that tool. It is a steep price for the tool but if it works perfectly I may have to.

Also, I mostly work in PSBs which Painter doesn't accept. It can't even open flat Tifs the size that I would need it to.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The mixer brush can at least paint multiple colors at once where the regular brush can only paint one color at a time. At least that I've seen. I'm pretty familiar with the custom brush settings in photoshop for the paintbrush so if it's the regular paintbrush you're talking about, it's not going to work.

I have made a brush of the tree shape and it still only paints in one color at a time. Not what i'm looking for. I need full-color images/graphics that would be placed either in order or in a random order and the tool needs to work like the paintbrush. Very similar to mixer brush but that just paints the same one over and over.

This is the mixer brush in photoshop:

bc01569d0ae507d480e2f83cc57ed5f5.gif

The only problem is that it's the same tree over and over.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So can other brushes

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand how that works. Those are all the same shape and also one solid color for each butterfly. Not what I'm looking for. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are sample tips and dual tips and size dymamics  color dymamics and a colot can have man shades or ocacity

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, and all of that deals in one color at a time. The trees has lots of shades from green to yellone and brown stumps. Need multiple colors. Not just one like the brush in your example.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if Corel Painter hose does what you want to do and can edit PSD files use Painter.  Even if you ask Adobe to add a hose like feature to Photoshop. If the like the idea  it would not be added in the near future. It would take  Adobe some time to fit that request into their plans.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s the idea. Using Coral would work but it can’t Handel PSB files (Large format PSDs). Even saving my files into flat Tifs or JPGs doesn’t help because Coral cant open them. Ps is the powerhouse and can handle anything I throw at it. Coral’s $300+ prictag may be a better solution but posting here to see if anyone had a Ps solution was my first choice.

If it doesn’t exist or can’t be created in Photoshop then I’ll go the Coral Painter or ArtRage rout.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I know of  stroking multi color thing like a corful tree in Photoshop is be using Photoshop scripting where you can place and scale paterns along a path.  Adobe does include some Pattern fill scripts that  can do some things.  But you do not have the ability to create a brush like tool using Photoshop scripting.   Scripts can not even get the mouse coursor position. So it not posible to script your own Photoshop brush type.  A compiled Photoshop Plug-in may be able to.    Try searching the web for a plug-in that mage be able to doe a Corel Hose type thing for Photoshop.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With this you can drag for multiple trees or single click for just one.

Have you tested the Script mentioned in the link I posted previously?

It only allows for placing through clicking and without pressure sensitivity, though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 27, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not yet, but possibly today. The only thing with that is it seems like wouldn't be much faster than the current method of tree by tree.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 27, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing with that is it seems like wouldn't be much faster than the current method of tree by tree.

Clicking and the SO being duplicated to the click location might be faster after all.

One can adapt the Script to place based on two clicks to allow for determining the scaling (and rotation if necessary).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 01, 2019 0
Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point, its pretty obvious that the OP wants something that Photoshop can't do. You'll have to use a different program. Don't hold your breath on Adobe adding this tomorrow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 01, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a test with ArtRage and the Sticker Sheets and Sticker Spray work almost perfectly. Very similar to Coral Paint and quite a bit cheaper. I just wish there were a way to get this tool into photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jared,

While this is less than optimal, could it help?

1. Have a folder full of images (perhaps .png files with transparency).
  2. Select the images and drag them into an open document in Photoshop.
  3. Photoshop will Place these one at time. Resize and move each one and press Enter (or double click) to advance to the next image.

I realise that this is pretty similar to what you are already doing. However, the upside is that the next element is already in a state of Free Transform after placing the previous image.

You will end up with a series of placed images contained within Smart Objects. If this is not preferable you could select them all in the Layers panel, right mouse click and choose Rasterize Layers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this and it would be similar to how I place them now except with the png method, each tree pops in at the center of the document. Some of my documents are over 30,000 x 30,000 pixels in size which is why I use PSB files.

So going back to the center to get the next tree is less than optimal.

Another workaround I've experimented with is creating libraries of trees. And this works to the same extentt as pulling from another Ps file. I can have a library object of 8 trees and when I pull them in they are on separate layers but that still isn't a faster way of placing multiple different trees organically with a brush.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 27, 2019 0
Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only Brush type tool  I know of that can brush multi color object is the Clone stamp tool with align not not checked with a click you could stamp lay down multi color objects.  Brush controls like size hardness, blending etc may be useable.  However,  I sure many brush dynamics would not be operational because of the sampling nature of the clone stamp brush tip while stroking.  Strokes will only repeat the original source point with a fresh click. 

Scripts can not find out the cursor position so  scripting a brush like tools is not possible.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 27, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

577a872ca407435738af023e238bc2fb.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 27, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another post describing exactly what I'm looking for.

Photoshop: Image Hose - Extend Clone Stamp tool | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 28, 2019 0
Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that suggestion was give to Adobe 8 years ago and in 8 years Adobe had not added such a feature or showcased a future feature like that.  I suggested to you  to search and see if the is any Plug-in the add a feature like that to Photoshop.   A compile plug-in can  provide what you want.  Plug-in like Adobe Liquify have brush like tools.  There are commercial plug-in like ParticleShop that has paint brushes for Photoshop.  I'm not a Painter have you search for any painter plug-ins for Photoshop.

By now I think you should see the painting on the wall Adode is not  going to hose Photoshop that way they have other ways to hose Photoshop.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 28, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a real downer way to look at it. Yeah, they haven't done anything in 8 years so we should just give up and not post about any changes we'd like?

I don't agree with that at all. If enough people want it, they'll add it.

Considering almost every major competitor of theirs has a feature like this, they should see the writing on the wall.

And I did contact ParticleShop. Their tool would work perfectly if you could customize it. Which you can't. And they won't allow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 28, 2019 0
Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 28, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be perfect if I were making each tree by hand. But I'm not. I have a set library of trees that are already created.

Sorry, that example isn't what I'm looking for.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 28, 2019 0
Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know what you are looking exists? Is there no reference to it one the web.  If a tool like that exist for Photoshop why would it not be on the web.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 28, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does NOT exist for Photoshop. I've searched the web extensively and found that it's only something people want and doesn't exist.

It exists in Coral Painter and is called Image Hose.

It exists in Art Rage and is called Sticker Spray.

It exists in Gimp and is called Image Pipe...

it doesn't exist in Photoshop. Which is why I'm here looking for any workarounds that will give me the same result. So far there has been nothing that would save more time than my current method.

At the very least, I would hope this is gaining notoriety so that Adobe might one day realize that this is a feature that their paying customers want added to their product.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 28, 2019 0
Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jaredjohnston  wrote

At the very least, I would hope this is gaining notoriety so that Adobe might one day realize that this is a feature that their paying customers want added to their product.

Hi Jared,

Scanning through this thread, I don’t see where anyone has yet suggested that you put in a feature request here: Photoshop Family Customer Community where the engineers will see it and you can track it.

While Photoshop does not have this, Illustrator has something that might work. First create a symbol, or in your case, maybe two. Then use the Symbol Sprayer to spray the symbol. It will show as a symbol instance in the Layers panel. You can continue spraying in that symbol instance or create a second or third. Use the Layers panel to select the correct one.

For what you showed, I see two tree symbols, and would put them each in their own set.

There are several symbolism tools to make the symbols bigger, screen them, apply a graphic style (create and select one first), spread them apart, etc. Holding Option (or Alt) does the opposite — smaller, removes the style, pulls them together, etc.

There is a circle when you modify the symbol set, and every symbol inside the circle is affected. Change the size of the circle with the square bracket keys, as you would with a PS brush.

Symbolism tools and symbol sets in Illustrator

Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 28, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jane, sorry I didn‘t reply to your last post, it must have slipped by me.

The maps I make are more graphical and require rasterized images rather than Illustrator Vectors.

I am familiar with the Illustrator Symbols and the spray that you can use with them which is why I'm even more shocked that Photoshop doesn't incorporate that.

As far as the Photoshop Family Customer Community site goes, I was pointed to that when I contacted Adobe customer service yesterday. They kept telling me to fill out a form and linking me to that page. I don't see anywhere to put in a ticket and track it so maybe you could point that out to me but I did find a page there that was created 8 years ago about this exact same issue.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/image_hose_extend_clone_stamp_tool

Any help would be appreciated. I would really love to get this feature in photoshop so that I wouldn't have to cut my workflow between another Photo editing app and Photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 01, 2019 0
Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jaredjohnston  wrote

Here's another post describing exactly what I'm looking for.

Photoshop: Image Hose - Extend Clone Stamp tool | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Hi Jared,

I followed your link and voted. It's a great idea to have this in Photoshop!

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 01, 2019 1