Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please Help! Hotkeys don't work after importing brushes, Adobe can't fix it

Participant ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have had a total headache trying to wrap my brain around why this is happening. The basics are this:

I run the latest Adobe Photoshop CC, on a workstation. The computer isn't the issue. For nearly a decade, I've worked with importing brushes into photoshop to add to my projects. With this update, however, after I import a few brushes, it tends to start to slow performance. Then the big one...the hotkeys don't work! For instance, I'll press (B) to get my brush, then select (V) and it will revert back to (B). I'll try a different hotkey, same thing happens. Essentially, after selecting the hotkey, it reverts back to whatever tool was just being used.

I've had two Adobe support live chats, where they went in to fix the issue. No luck. I've uninstalled, and reinstalled, and tried other CC versions. I've tried 'reset preferences on quit' and messing with my performance, but nothing seems to work.

Bottomline is, these brushes are integral to my work, and I need to use them, but for some reason adobe CC can't funtion100%. I was using 2014 fine for years until I decided to upgrade, now I'm regretting it.

Please, anyone who has any suggestions, please let me know

Geoff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Geoff.

I think I have seen a similar issue on this forum with CC2018.  What operating system are you using, and what computer hardware?

I have responded to a couple of new brush features posts since CC2018, and my view is that I like the ideas, but it was probably released too soon, as it still has some issues.  If you restore brushes, for instance.  Instead of the Append or replace message we used to get, now it just happens.  I had three or four duplicates of everything before I realized what was happening.

Check the Feedback site for similar issues.  Tell you what, I'll do it for you

CC2018: Selected a brush but instead it changed to a tool | Photoshop Family Customer Community

OK, I think I know what is happening.  The new brush management system makes it easy to save brush presets with tool presets, so selecting some brushes will change to the tool associated with that brush.  If you have all the view options turned on, then you can see if that is the case, as with the preset outlined below.

If you want to use that preset with another tool, hit the New preset icon, and make sure Include Tool Settings is unchecked.

Is that what is happening in your case?

Check out Julianne Kosts's description of the new brush management system

Adobe Announces New Features for Photoshop CC 2018 « Julieanne Kost's Blog

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm using windows 10 on a HP Z420 Workstation.

My issue is, when I import brush from the brush panel (a brush I downloaded elsewhere) it seems to slow down the performance a little. The biggest issue after importing 3 or 4 brushes is the hotkeys start to get weird and switch back and forth between tools. When I was using cc2014, I had probably 30 brushes, without issue, so that's why I'm surprised and don't know what to do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines