• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please help - JPG (jpeg) files open in Photoshop through camera raw 1st even though they are jpg

New Here ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help - JPG (jpeg) files open in Photoshop through camera raw 1st even though they are jpg files.

these files started life as Nikon RAW (nef) files, they were converted to DNG files through Lightroom - They were then processed by a proprietary software called PortraitPro and saved as jpg files.

When these files are brought into photoshop for final adjustments they first open as if they were a camera raw file - not only is this a pain to click an extra button to get to the image BUT in some cases the images are opening with a weird orange color cast. 

These same jpg files behave like normal jpg in all other software except lightroom and Photoshop. 

to further complicate the issue we took the original file and made it even cooler in color --adobe software actually opens the newer cooler files with the same original orange color cast

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated

does photoshop have some sort of cache that these files are getting stuck in ? or perhaps some metadata hidden in the jpg that PS is keying on ?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

acrprefs1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

acrprefs1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Dag pointed out check out the settings under 

Photoshop > Preferenecs > Camera Raw > File Handling 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you let me know if there is a way to get photoshop to not export jpgs with this XMP sidcar file, I understand how to switch the setting so my system ignores it but when delivering a set of jpegs to client I dont want to have to inform my client, or anyone they pass the file to, to have to switch this setting.

Thanks

g

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you create the jpgs at current? 

Are you resaving jpgs or saving jpg-copies off of layered files (psd, tif, …)? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either run a script if its a big batch of files or duplicate my master file, resize and save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its always from a layered psd or psb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you Save As or Save for Web or …? 

Can you provide one jpg that displayss the behaviour? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save as.

I cant release anything at the moment, the job hasnt gone live yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Save for Web; do those also open in ACR? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That totally solves the problem, i can also remove them in Bridge with clear settings.  Thanks for your input,  I guess there isn't a setting that saves without any sidecar files? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am not sure where that data is stored, possibly the metadata that’s accessible via File Info; it seems difficult to say without a file for testing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that did work

What was odd is that only about 30% of the jpegs did this the other 70% always opened as expected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll notice the option called "open jpegs with settings". What this means is that if the jpeg has metadata that are readable by ACR, then ACR will open it. If not, it goes directly to Photoshop. In other words; once opened through ACR it will continue to do so. This option is the default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines