• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PLEASE HELP! Photo looks completely different when I open TIFF in windows photo viewer

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a huge problem. My photo looks completely different when i open it in photo viewer.  I have never had this problem happen before. I have no idea what to do. I am using Adobe Photoshop CC.  As you can see the image loses the high pass filter that i applied and comes out darker.  But here's the thing, when i save it as a JPEG it is fine but the quality is reduced because i have to save it as JPEG. Yes the image is flattened.  Color settings and save settings are included.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Well, then I guess I was mistaken and it was not the Color Space but only the bit depth.

Sorry!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, many would argue that ProPhotoRGB should never leave the photographer at all. Why are you sending it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, but if you have a client who doesn't even use colour managed apps, they certainly won't know or care. But sending ProPhoto RGB you can certainly expect the client to see the wrong colour, even if somehow you don't. Why are you sending Pro Photo RGB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess i don't know yet the disadvantage of ProPhoto RGB compared to what I'm supposed to be sending them. I will just have to do some research.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ProPhoto color space has a very large gamut, and is intended for editing, not for final output. Use Adobe RGB or sRGB for files you send to clients. 16-bit is fine for editing, but don't send 16-bit files to clients. A finished, edited file that you send off should be in 8-bit.

Also, a TV is not a good choice for photo editing. Use a computer monitor, and calibrate it with a hardware calibrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Adobe RGB or sRGB for files you send to clients. 16-bit is fine for editing, but don't send 16-bit files to clients.

In particular one should use more than 8bit when working in »huge« color spaces.

Because converting an 8bit image in one of those spaces to a smaller Color Space later on (sRGB or pretty much any CMYK space) could lead to unnecessary issues like banding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

c.pfaffenbichler  wrote

Use Adobe RGB or sRGB for files you send to clients. 16-bit is fine for editing, but don't send 16-bit files to clients.

In particular one should use more than 8bit when working in »huge« color spaces.

Absolutely, any editing should be done in 16-bit. regardless of the color space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines