Highlighted

Please put a warning message before saving The file could not be saved because it exceeds ....

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please put out a warning message before savingThe file could not be saved because it exceeds the file size for (Tiff or psd).

I've been missing a warning about saving when editing images that are larger than 4GB when combined with the layer content. If I save such a large file with several layers it takes a long time and then the message appears: "The file could not be saved because it exceeds the file size for Tiff or psd". This warning should come before saving (!!!) and it is suggested to save the file as a PSB file.

Otherwise i lose time.

It would be nice if Adobe would include this.

Wolfgang Kreische

P.S.: Maybe there is also BigTiff as an option in the future?

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Test Screen Name | Most Valuable Participant

Worth knowing: because the files compress the data as it is, at that moment, the size of the file is not known until the work of saving it is done. To complete these calculations would be a "dummy save" and take nearly as long as a real save...

Topics

Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Please put a warning message before saving The file could not be saved because it exceeds ....

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please put out a warning message before savingThe file could not be saved because it exceeds the file size for (Tiff or psd).

I've been missing a warning about saving when editing images that are larger than 4GB when combined with the layer content. If I save such a large file with several layers it takes a long time and then the message appears: "The file could not be saved because it exceeds the file size for Tiff or psd". This warning should come before saving (!!!) and it is suggested to save the file as a PSB file.

Otherwise i lose time.

It would be nice if Adobe would include this.

Wolfgang Kreische

P.S.: Maybe there is also BigTiff as an option in the future?

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Test Screen Name | Most Valuable Participant

Worth knowing: because the files compress the data as it is, at that moment, the size of the file is not known until the work of saving it is done. To complete these calculations would be a "dummy save" and take nearly as long as a real save...

Topics

Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This forum is answered by volunteer users, we do not work for Adobe.

You can raise a feature request at the link below , where it will be seen by Adobe staff.
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, but why can't Photoshop calculate, estimate the expected file size? The algorithms are integrated. Right?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could calculate as I said. And it would take pretty much as long as a real save ... do you want saves to take twice as long so you can get a chance of this warning?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no reason for it took take an excessive time. Save for Web estimates jpeg compression saves on the fly. PSDs are larger and multi-layered but an estimate could be made in idle time. I think it is worth a feature request.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe Save For Web actually does the compression-to-memory to get the exact figure. This is fine for web graphics.  I now note the word "estimate". That could be done, but it would be an estimate... sometimes it will claim wrongly that it can't be done; other times there will be no warning but it will fail. Will anyone be satisfied with an estimate in this case?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines