Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PNG in 300 dpi?

New Here ,
Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I shoot RAW. When I open the file in PS it is 300 dpi.

I need to convert to PNG 300 dpi.

When I use the "export as"  I get PNG automatically 72 dpi.

Also when I use the "fast export as" it becomes 72 dpi.

How to get a PNG in 300 dpi?

Thanks Carsten

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

File > Save As > PNG  It should preserve the 300 ppi metadata.

Also the Legacy File > Export > Save for Web will do the same if you set the Metadata to "All".

The Quick Export functions does not preserve the original ppi metadata and so the image defaults to 72.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is possible to save a PNG at 300 ppi with a transparent background, using SAVE AS. Do you face any difficulty with this when using SAVE AS on a document which already has the transparency set up? Or is your problem how to set up the transparency? Or is it that you can't get 300 ppi with SAVE AS? Or is it that you really, really want to use EXPORT instead? Or something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your quick answer!!!

Yes I used SAVE AS and it save the PNG file with 300 dpi perfectly but no with transparent background.

And there is no option in the SAVE AS option to click transparent background.

I show you two screen shoots

Maybe is that I need to put the transparency set up and I don´t know why. Can you tell me? The file has not transparent background. I want to transform the normal file (with background) to a file with transparent background when I save it

I don`t want to use export because the file resolution is 72 dpi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<moved down>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using File > Save as... can retain transparency and resolution metadata. A value of 11811 ppcm will be saved from a 300 ppi source file. This value will be shown in Photoshop as 300 ppi, even though the saved resolution value is not in pixels per inch.

Using File > Export as... can retain canvas transparency, however, resolution metadata will be removed. This defaults to 72 ppi in Photoshop

Using Export as... or Quick export from the layers panel will remove canvas transparency cropping down to pixel content and also remove resolution metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Olga, I've looked at your screen shots, and I think I see the problem. Save as ... PNG will save transparency automatically but your file has no transparency. Your screen shot shows it has a white background. White is different to transparent.

So, is your question, how do I make my white colour transparent? This is not obvious. What I do:

* change the name of the layer so it is not Background (this is vital)

* select all the white that I want to be transparent (be careful not to select areas that you want to be white!)

* cut (Ctrl+X)

* you should now see a "checker board" for the transparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you missed it earlier in the topic thread...

You can't save in DPI (dots per inch), raster files are expressed in pixels, not dots, so that is PPI.

There is no such thing as a 300 ppi PNG as the official PNG specification works in PPM or pixels per metre.

A PNG with a metadata value of 11811 ppm (pixels per metre) rounds up to and is commonly displayed as 300 ppi to conform with common/traditional user expectations.

11811 ppm  / 100 = 118.11 ppcm x 2.54 cm (metric to inch) = 299.9994 ppi rounded up to 300 ppi.

Another recent topic that explored these issues:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-displays-image-dpi-as-a-different-number-than-pre...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and Export strips resolution metadata altogether. Coming out of Export, the file does not have a ppi value at all - not 72, not 300, nothing.

The 72 number appears as a default when you reopen into Photoshop (because PS needs a ppi number, any number, for other reasons).

It doesn't really matter. If you need it, you can assign any ppi number you want later on (for printing purposes, or to define font sizes).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know Export like many other features change from version to version. In 22.5 of 2021, I notice Export will assign 72 ppi to jpegs no matter the original resolution, but if a png is 300ppi it will preserve that metadata. That is using the new Export, not the Classic, which I have not had time to check. So if you have no problems using the png format to to print, you can now go that route.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines