• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Posterize and then easy way separate into layers?

Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I can easily take my image and posterize it to a number of colors- let's say, 4 colors.  But once that is done, is there an easy way to select each of of the four colors and seperate them onto seperate layers?  I've used the magic want to select, and then choose similar, but I often get more than just the one color I want. so there must be an easier way.

THX

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using Select Color Range? That will allow you to preview your selection and add/remove from it with sliders and tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, thx, I totally missed that that option existed.  I'll play with it.  This would allow me to manually select by color and then copy/paste to seperate layers, but it seems like there ought to be a way for photoshop to do that on its own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»This would allow me to manually select by color and then copy/paste to seperate layers«

Copy/pasting seems wateful, Layer > New > Layer Via Copy (cmd-J). 

»but it seems like there ought to be a way for photoshop to do that on its own.«

Why? 

When you used the Magic Wand did you uncheck Anti-aliasing and Contiguous? 

The task could be automated via a Script, but it hardly seems worth the trouble if it’s not a very frequent task? 

Are the four colors always the same ones? If so an Action might suffice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I hadn't unselected anything in the Magic Wand.  Can you explain what unchecking these settings does?  How do these settings affect what gets selected?  I did change the tolerance.  Really apopreciate learning more about how these settings work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Anti-aliasing results in softened edges for Selections. 

And the contiguous setting affects whether the tool selects pixels of the same color that are not directly connected to the clicked pixel by similar pixels. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Spot Colors and those would be on their own channels, or Indexed Color Mode which is similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you get the four colors make sure you only you have four colors by converting to Index color 4 colors. You can the convert back to RGB mode.  You should then bet able to select each of the four colors with the magic wand tool.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines