Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pre-installed actions

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Where can I find info about pre-installed actions?  For example, there is an action in the "Production" folder called "reduced color palette."  I'd like to know how to use it, situations where it would be useful, etc.  Is there a resource where I can get information about various actions?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

My apologies. I thought you were looking for a list of all the actions with their descriptions and uses, and I have never seen one. I was attempting to give you a way to explore them.

What this particular Action does is flatten the image, convert to Index mode, and bring up a dialog box where you can select the number of colors. You might use it for an image that is destined for the web. Reducing the colors can make a smaller file, which will download faster.

The image on the left has 256 co

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am unaware of a "cheat sheet" that describe the various actions. What you might do is:

1. Click the disclosure triangle to see what the action does.
    jane-e_0-1603480188323.png

2. Look in your History panel
    jane-e_1-1603480450648.png
  3. Look at your Layers panel
    jane-e_2-1603480678715.png

Then close without saving to clear the History and try another one. You might also set the Playback Options from the Actions panel menu to step through the action.

jane-e_3-1603480851704.png

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you understand my question.  I am not asking what the individual steps of the action are, or how to find the actual file on my hard drive.  

I'm asking about the practical application of the action - when, why, and how it might be incorporated into a workflow, what type of editing would call for it, etc.  Is it used to analyze an image?  Does it generate a palette for color grading?  Is it simply an effect that serves no practical purpose?  What does reducing color accomplish?  Is it used in graphic design or photography? If anyone uses this action, I am interested in finding out why and how you use it.  

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies. I thought you were looking for a list of all the actions with their descriptions and uses, and I have never seen one. I was attempting to give you a way to explore them.

What this particular Action does is flatten the image, convert to Index mode, and bring up a dialog box where you can select the number of colors. You might use it for an image that is destined for the web. Reducing the colors can make a smaller file, which will download faster.

The image on the left has 256 colors in its table, the one on the right has a Color Table of 16 colors. Note the size difference under each image.

jane-e_0-1603483671007.png

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah ok.  Thanks!

I think this will help with what I want to do - which is analyze an image's color scheme weight ratio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, @DFI_Jill  😊

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines