• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Press and Hold for Right Click does not work in the latest update Photoshop

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The function press and hold of my wacom pen still works outside Photoshop but it does not work in Photoshop. It worked well before. What I should do to bring this feature back to my Photoshop?

[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]
[Moving from generic Start/Help forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tam,

Sorry to hear about the feature not working after Photoshop's recent update, could you please let us know what operating system you're working on?

Also, have you tried updating the wacom's drivers and see if it helps?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

I recorded a video for this issue. Please help to see into. Thank you very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0VVrqcdGrk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having simular problems. I'm using a surface pen. and surfacebook2.

I recently updated photoshop. And the right click feature doesn't work.

Outside of photoshop it works just fine.

I installed the previous version hoping it would solve itself. and restarted my computer. unfortunately it's doing the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a follow up.

I noticed the same issue with adobe after effects. 

the pen is unable to do a hold (right click)

but outside of adobe. I've had no issues to do a right click with the pen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any new information about Adobe's efforts to identify and resolve the problem with certain Wacom pens/devices (Mine is a ZBook X2) having press/hold feature issues in Adobe products?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you using WinTab with Photoshop and Wacom in the Past and now have to use Windows Ink because Adobe broke Photoshop WinTab support in 21.1.  I have always disabled windows press and hold because of how it wrecks Photoshop work-flow. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do I double check that?

as far as i can tell I am using windows ink. How am I able to double check?

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Windows control panel app Pen and Touch check and make sure  Press and hold settings have not been disabled.  I disable it on my windows machine.  Its not a feature I want to use with my Wacom Pen. You can see where I unchecked the feature on mt windows machine.

image.pngimage.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply.

Mine are on.

It's only in photoshop and illustrator (I haven't tried the other adobe software)

but holding down the pen  still works in all programs outside of adobe.

file explorer, outlook etc.

It's just in adobe photoshop which I use a lot. and illustrator. holding down-rightclick is not active

made a recording to show it's only in adobe I have the hold-right click issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The audio did not record  in your video. I have no idea at what points in that video you may have tried to demonstrate that press and hold failed to function before the OBS dialog was recorded.  Myself I disable press and hold right click. Set a Pen bottom or a tablet button to right click. Wacom Pen bottom button default is Right Click. In Photoshop I change that button  so I can change the Brush Size and Hardness instead. I set it to Alt+Right Click.

image.pngimage.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry. yes there's no audio.

but I'll describe the attempt in written for. 

around  0:07 I make attempt to do a HOLD - right click (the contrast is low. but you can see a circle start to encompass around my brush) but when I release there's no result into the right click.

a hold right right click at 0:15 a attempt is made and it is successful.

It's only in adobe that I'm having trouble with the right click.

any other program I'm having no issues with outside adobe.

I'm using a surface. so the wacom section doesn't apply to me. unfortunately

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tam Carbonand @kidchuckle  I'm having this exact same issue. I've had it as of March 2020. Its was some sort of update that carried over since then. It worked fine around Jan-Feb.

Did you ever find a solution to this that didn't require you disabling Control Panel features that should work and then assign right-click to stylus side button via Wacom? Cause, that doesn't address the problem, just shows how to go about it in an alternative fashion when one doesn't actually know the solution. Personally, I think if the press and hold feature works outside of Adobe programs, but not inside. . . thats a good indication that it's an Adobe issue. I also do not want to lose my radial wheel which I have assigned to the stylus button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Wacom driver are you usint the was a report the the is some provlen in the dewer griver 6.3.42-2. I have 6.3.41-1

image.png

PS 21.2.5 and ps 22.2 seem fine with wacom pen adjust size and hardness with button

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately pen hold down. Does nothing for me on the microsoft surface book 2.

I still have to resort to a mouse now to do a right click.

So wacom drivers unfortunately don't help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but the hold/right click works on other applications

even file explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quick demo showing the right click hold doesn't work. in surface book 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With all do respect @JJMack, this problems been an issue for about a year. It's been made pretty clear that the Press+Hold feature works fine outside of Adobe products, but does not respond while working inside Adobe Products (Confirmed products being: Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, and Premier). Thus, it is NOT a wacom issue. If you have Microsoft Word and Adobe Photoshop open, you could alt tab between them and see how the pen works in Word and not Photoshop. Unless you can show a clearly stated exemption in a specific wacom driver that we all just happen to be using accross different wacom products across different Device Platflorms showing that Adobe is excluded from the "press+hold" freature PLEASE Please stop responding with stuff about making sure that our Wacom driver is up to date or whatever, or about reconfiguring system and pen settings (Which btw, only reverses the problem unless really configured properly under wacom control panel). If you have new ideas to consider, awesome... but lets move away from the "Wacom driver" and system configurations. It seems clear that its an Adobe issue that needs to get worked out with Wacom. An add on, a patch... whatever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe this is adobe thing as well. not a wacom thing.

Again I'm going to clarify I use the surface book 2  with the surface pen.

Wacom drivers don't help me. since I'm using the surface pen.

We appreciate the fast response. but I rather have someone say they're looking into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problem may be a Microsoft problem. My Wacom Pen seems fine if I use Windows INK or Wacom WinTab interface.

I just configured to use INK with PS 22.2 you can see the Brush Preview as  I hover the pen with the lower button pressed.

I can us INK or I can use WinTab.  I use WinTab because it performs better than INK and INK also displays annoying feedback.

Your Pen and its buttons are supported by Microsoft Device drivers the issue could be in that device support.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With all do respect there are different Pens, Different Api, Different technologies, different devices drivers, different Operating system and different version of Photoshop with respect to different users. There is no one answer or cure all.  Kidchuckle is using a Surface Book 2 so is most likely using a Microsoft Surface Pen. Running Window 10  Pen support would be via Microsoft Device driver support and use Microsoft INK API.  Any Pen button support would be via Microsoft software.  Photoshop on Widows PC  default is to use Windows INK API to interface with Pen use.  Kidchuckle would not be using Wacom Device Support.

Varxtis yesterday posted that they were having problems and it seem they are using Wacom technology from what they wrote. So I posted that the  latest Wacom  Device Driver has been report as having issues with Photoshop.   On Windows 10 with Wacom Intuos Pen  Photoshop 21.2.5 and 22.2 Pen support works correctly  using INK or WinTab if configured correctly. It will not work correctly with many version of Photoshop  between  version 20.0.1 through 21.2 I think. Wacom driver 6.3.41-1 is the one to install not 6.3.42-2

This issue is complex and is not goning away soon.  Adobe Broke Photoshop Windows  Pen WinTabs support and did not fix it for 6 update.  In fact there was still a bug in the WinTab support till update 22.2.  Photoshop 22.2 has issues with other Photoshop feature. So if you Still using 21.2.5 and WinTab support you have a small issue with Pen support.   I only give advice I feel is helpful  for Window Use that Use Wacom Pens.  How to configure Window, How to configure Photoshop and how to configure Wacom for Interfaces INK and WinTab.   Many Photoshop Versions  have broken WinTab Pen support.  For me it was never a problem I know how to work around Photoshop issues.

PenConfig.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the explanation. 

Is there a eta on the fix? From what you said and what I've been noticing. It's been like that for a while

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not work for Adobe or Microsoft.  I do know if they are aware of the problem you have on your Surface Book2 with your Pen and Photoshop.  You can try searching Adobe site feedback.photoshop.com See if the problem has been reported acknowledged and is being worked on.  I do not know where on Microsoft site you can search for issues and fixes. Search the web for Surface Book 2 forum.  If you can not find that your problem has been reported to Adobe and Microsoft you should report the issue. Its better that you duplicate a bug report then there not being one. If there is a fix in the works neither Adobe or Microsoft publish fix schedule.,

I see one three years old https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-resize-brush-with-surface-pen/5f5f4...   You may need to raise the issue again. It states that it should work but it requires a pen tap on the surface book. A tap is not required with wacom tablets.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya know. . .I wrote a rather funny reply that was borderline rude... definitely snide and snippey... but altimately way too long and unnecessary. Much like many of the posts of a certain member on this thread.

@kidchuckle @Tam Carbon  NOT at JJ:

I'm gonna pursue this because now it's bothering me lol. But I probably won't have a hard response till the 22nd. Till then, heres my take on things. Keep me posted if you hear of anything pls. oh and @kidchuckle your art is AMAZING!!!!!! If theres anyone that deserves to get this fixed, it's you!

Scenario:

- Have Wacom device and/or pen that supports press+hold as right-click fulnctionality.

- Using Windows 10

- Using Adobe programs Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, After Effects

Problem: Starting Early 2020

- When using an Adobe program such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, or After Effects, the press+hold as right-click feature, does not work. The press+hold feature is confirmed as active under Control Panel Settings and works properly in all other windows space (programs and desktops), even while Adobe programs are running. If toggle between the Desktop, Microsoft Word, and Adobe Illustrator, Press+Hold acts as right-click for Desktop and Word, but does nothing in Illustrator.

- I have been using Wacom tablets and Stylus for years. This was not a prolem until early (march/april) 2020, though I can't associate it was any major updates. Had been working with 2020 adobe version since dec/jan and was fine.

Troubleshooting steps taken:

- Confirmed all related features are active and running, including drivers and services.

- Made sure any and all related drivers were up to date.

- Deactivated any associated features/services, did a power cycle, reactivated features/services.

- Uninstalled Wacom specific (or wacom related) programs and drivers. Reinstalled.

Troubleshooting outcome: Still not working.

The mere fact that the Press+Hold feature works in every single program Ive tested, with Adobe products being the only exception, I feel this is problem with Adobe proigrams.

I have no expectations beyond what kidchuckle stated: "We're looking into it!", and possibley a time frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The press+hold as right-click feature, does not work."  I do not read well I thought  you were referring to hold (Alt+Right Click) hover up and down left and right to change  brush size and hardness.  What is photoshop feature press+hold as right-click used to do?  My pen button is set to Alt+Right Click. I also disable Microsoft's Press and Hold Right click feature as show in my configuration screen captures and highlighted with red.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines