• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pressure for brush size ignored when holding shift for straight lines (dot2dot)

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a Huion Kamvas 22 Plus, PS CC, Win10, the pressure for brush size works fine in freehand drawing. Even when holding shift and drawing a straight horizontal line, the line strenght corresponds to pen pressure. As soon as I try to draw straight lines by drawing start and end point, the pressure is seemingly ignored completely, the lines come out thin, sometimes at random going from thick to thin. 

PS CC updated, Huion Win 10 driver up to date (no older versions available as its a new model I believe)

I tried it with ticked and unticked windows ink setting in the Huion App, makes no difference. 

Also tried using the PSUserconfig.txt fix to use win tab, as that seemed to resolve some pressure sensitivity issues for other users - this only resulted in pressure sensitivy to stop working altogether when win ink is UNflagged in the Huion App. No change to the straight line issue either way. 

Any suggestions appreciated (especially where the root of the problem is)

Thanks!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find I have to use my Mouse to draw precis straight lines with click and shift click.  With my pen I can not position the cursor and touch the cursor point well without any movement and with pressure enabled for opacity and tip sizing the lines are more a gradient that tapered. Turing pressure controls off the lines I can layout are not exactly what I want when I use my Pen. I have trouble touching the precise  line end points I want.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going with the shift click function for years in industrial design and illustration, I'm quite used to it (no problems with the precision). And unfortunately it is so ingrained in my sketching workflow, that switching to mouse while sketching is not really an option. Especially since it worked on both an older Wacom Cintiq, and a Mobile Studio pro. (It had its own kinks there, such as the occasional dot at the beginning of the line, but that didnt bother me too much - it did what it was supposed to do)

Any ideas if it is likely a huion driver issue, a PS issue, something in between colliding with a windows function, or simply a brush settings problem? (I feel like i can rule out the last one, tried it with different brushes, different settings - same result everytime i shift click - thin line, pressure is being ignored)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always used Wacom tablets and WinTab Application interface with Photoshop.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem, except my lines are consistently thick, seemingly on max pressure level to my pen. Im using a Gaomon PD1161 Display Tablet, and nothing I've tried seems to be working to fix the issue. I know this an older post, but has anyone found a solution? (One that doesn't require using my mouse, as that defeats the purpose for using my pen entirely with pressure sensitivity)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's march 9 2022 and Adobe still hasn't fixed it. They really don't care about its consumers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here, Using a huion Kamvas 24. Coming from wacom and having used this feature everytime I sketch, this is devastating for me. Do PS devs ever look into posts here? It is ASTOUNDING that this " PSUserconfig.txt " is a tweak all tablet users have to go through if they want a proper experience using any tablet and yet adobe still hasn't added a checkbox in the preferences to do this... It's been soooo long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have the same problem but with an XP-Pen tablet (Deco LW model). I have found out some things that might be helpful in troubleshooting the problem but I don't know where to go from here.

First here is everything I have tested that didn't work:

Resetting tools

Resetting Photoshop Preferences

Using different versions of Photoshop (tried 3 different ones).

Using different versions of my tablet driver (again 3 different drivers) and doing clean installs each time

Updating Photoshop, my graphics card driver and the tablet driver to the newest versions

Plugging my tablet into a different USB port via cable

Using the wireless receiver for my tablet and plugging it into different USB ports

Using wintab driver (with PSUserConfig.txt file) and unchecking windows ink in the tablet application

Using the windows ink setting on my tablet (without PSUserConfig.txt file)

Disabling pen and touch settings in Windows

It is important to note that this wasn't a problem with my older Wacom Intuos 5 tablet and I don't remember it being a problem a few months ago with my XP-Pen Deco LW tablet (I have reverted back to the settings I had a few months ago with the version of Photoshop and the tablet driver I had a few months ago and it didn't fix the issue).

Here is what I have observed from my testing:

Using the Hard Round Pressure Size brush and default tablet settings (using wintab in photoshop), when I press hard on the tablet only a tiny little dot appears. It isn't until I move the pen (still pressed down on the tablet) that Photoshop registers the hard pressure and gives me a larger stroke. So it seems to me that Photoshop is taking the initial input of when the nib touches the tablet to determine the size of the stroke/dot. This is fine when I am drawing regularly but when I shift click it doesn't take into account the pressure in which I press at and only gives the initial reading of the pressure (which most of the time is going to be really low because when the nib bearly touches the tablet it isn't at a high pressure). Perhaps this is an issue which how often the tablet or Photoshop updates the pressure reading, since there are a few times where the stroke comes out big (but this seems random). This would never happen with my wacom but I seen past threads about this with wacom users.

Attached is an example of how the shift + click operation is behaving.The big dots at the end of the stroke come out because I move the pen just ever so slightly after pressing hard.

eddie_t_0-1692233038210.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I removed all XP-Pen drivers and installed lated Wacom drivers and tested this again with the same version I had when I made the above image and with WinTab enabled. The problem went away completely, the following image shows that I was able to consistently make thick lines if I shift clicked while pressing hard and I was consistently able to make thin lines by shift click and barely tapping the tablet. This leads me to conclude that this is a tablet driver issue of some sort unfortunately. 

eddie_t_0-1692234662399.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines