Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prevent locked layer to be selected with option + right click

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone.

I searched the community but can't find a similar question to mine, so here I go.

I usually use the 'option + right click' to toggle between the layers I'm working on Photoshop, instead of using the Auto-select option, because this way I can use the both ways easilly. But sometimes there's a specific layer that I don't want to be selected, I tried to lock this layer, but it's still selectable.

Is there a way to lock a specific layer so it can't be selectable on the canvas?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

You can lock a layer you using the lock icon at the top of the layers panel. That should lock the layer and you the content would not get selected when you use option+click.

Screenshot_53.png

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nikunj,

I tried this, but didn't worked.

Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To my knowledge a locked layer should not be selectable. Kind of defeats the purpose. What version of photoshop are you using (incase of a bug that has been introduced). Have you try resetting the preferences to see if that helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Silkrooster,

yeah, found that strange too, but it's how it's working. O cannot move the locked layer, but can select it on my stage.

I'm using 21.0.2, the latests version as I konw. Working on macOS Mojave 10.14.6.

Tried to reset the preferences and also use the default workspaces and shortcuts, and dind't worked.

I made a video showing better.

Thnaks for your attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! This is a very interesting issue. The lock usually locks it down.

I agree with resetting the preferences. I had a student have a similar complaint. A hard computer restart fixed hers. Have you tried that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By a hard computer restart you mean press and hold down the power button?

I did this a few times, also restart normally... I have this issue since a long time but only now it bothered me enought to come here 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! That computer has a mind of its own. It doesn't want to hard restart. 🙂

In your video, you are using different locks (lock all and position lock). I also saw you were on a different layer than the locked layer doing stuff. It was hard for me to follow what was going on. Maybe create a slower video doing one thing at a time. 

I also found this resource on the different types of Photoshop layer locks. This is a CS6 reference, but it still applies to this version. https://www.dummies.com/software/adobe/photoshop/how-to-lock-layers-in-adobe-photoshop-cs6/ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having this issue, too. The lock layers function does not work when I option-drag a layer above the locked layer (copying). It repeatedly chooses the locked template layer and moves it. Has anyone solved it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines