• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing life size (1:1) prints from an image containing a scale.

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm photographing objects with a scale/ruler (5cm or 30cm) beside them. I'm printing them on a 300dpi printer. How do I tell photoshop to size them as per the scale in the photo . i.e. highlight the 5cm scale and get P/shop to adjust my image so that the 5cm scale will actually be 5cm on my 300dpi print. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your ruler is horizontal or vertical then just set up guides against Photoshop's ruler and transform > scale the picture of the ruler in the image to match the guides. Before setting up rulers make sure you have your document set up to 300 ppi

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. Mostly they are vertical or horizontal but I get third party images sometimes and they can be any old way up.  I'll work with your idea thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll have to do some math, there is no automatic way for Photoshop to recognize or adjust your print based on a scale in the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Kevin. There's so much scaling\sizing stuff that Pshop does that it seems like it should do this but I can't seem to find an obvious route. I've seen third party software for forensics (footprints and fingerprints) where you just click on both ends of the scale and enter the actual measurements into a dialogue box. You save the image at 300dpi or whatever dpi your printer is and your print is "actual" size. Obviously I'm not giving that company enough credit.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Print PPI would need to vary. It depends on Camera sensor resolution, the lens Focal length, the distance the ruler is from the camera and the ruler would need to be on a plane parallel to the  camera sensor plane. You would not be print with a 300ppi resolution.  You do not want to interpolate your image that just lowers the image quality. You would use the ruler tool to measure  ruler in the image and adjust the Print PPI  Image size un-check resample  keep adjusting the print ppi till the rules tool measure the ruler 1:1

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JJ, thanks for that. Looks a lot more complicated than I hoped. I'll try what you suggest. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines